Second shooter on contract

jessica_miller7

<p>I'm shooting a wedding in October. I typically shoot weddings solo, but the bride and groom have requested a second shooter. He will only be paid $50.00/hr so I was limited on who I chose to help me out because of cost. I have asked him if he would allow me to edit the photos he takes (he would give me all RAW images) then that way the B & G are getting one editing style of images....my style in which they selected. <br>

I am curious on the photography agreement between me and the bride and groom, if I am responsible for the second shooter or if he is on his own. Worst case scenario, what if his camera dies during the ceremony and it's only me shooting? Am I responsible for him because I selected him as second shooter? What should I put on the contract? Should I mention a full-refund will be given for all monies paid to second shooter if complications arise?<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>I would think that when the bride and groom hired you they hired YOU regardless of who else is on your team. So, if you've been hired on the basis of delivering a certain number of pictures from certain parts of the day that make it necessary to have a second photographer, you're fully responsible to the bride and groom for getting those pictures. Further, if the contract stipulates a second shooter will be there, you can't go solo and you have to make allowances to ensure that the day proceeds with a second shooter shooting. So, if his/her camera stops working, you need to find a way to get that person a second camera to fulfill your contractual obligation. You should probably require he/she carry back-up equipment.<br>

I don't think your contract with the bride and groom should stipulate any specifics about your second shooter, just that they'll be part of the service.<br>

However, you should get a contract with that other photographer that stipulates what you require of them and what happens if their equipment fails.</p>

<p>The client hires my business. <br /> I decide who will be an associate photographer.<br /> My main associate has 30 plus yrs. in the business.<br /> I don't use a contract.<br /> Be careful on contracts as you don't want to get into trouble with Uncle Sam who says that because of your contract you have an employee and I want to collect FICA from you and other monies.<br /> We all have plenty of equipment.<br /> We compliment one another although we will switch roles from time to time. <br /> Clients like how we operate and the results.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>because of your contract you have an employee </p>

</blockquote>

<p>A contract is different to a contract of employment. If you're paying money to someone for a service, you have a contract with them, whether it's written down on paper or not. If push comes to shove you will want the contract to have been written down.</p>

<p>Suggest you offer "Second Photographer" as an a-la-carte item for a set price depending on availability and then start creating a network of relationship with other photographers that are willing to be given the Opportunity to shoot as a second photographer.</p>

<p>They shoot and then give you the image files and you process the image files so that they blend and mesh well with your image files: this is a good process for the overall benefit of the bride and groom and "the look" they will get from the overall package of images. Get a Wolverine so that the second can drop all images in it before leaving or ask the second to give you the CF cards for you to download and then mail the image files back to the second.</p>

<p>The second may use all his/her image files for portfolio hard copy use; nothing on internet and nothing out to the public. They can't offer or give any of the photo hard copies to anyone but they may use them to show prospective clients in person and they should tell the viewers that the images were taken while shooting second for you. </p>

<p>The above is merely a blueprint from which you can develop a system of working with second photographers. A contract is a great idea and sets parameters and tips on how the second is to behave during the wedding and how you want them to photograph i.e. should they focus on "stuff" you are shooting or should they restrain themselves and shoot items/people you are unable to shoot? Be directive and things will end good for the bride and groom.</p>

<p>Just ideas to get you started.</p>

<p>I didn't read others reply thus I hope I won't sound like a broken record...</p>

<ul>

<li>$50/hr - no proffesional photographer first camera or second will (or rather should) go work for that money. Pros have experience and thus a skill. This skill is valued and should be respected. </li>

<li>Contract - again, working 1st or 2nd camera, one <strong>must</strong> have back ups. If he or she doesn't that it isn't the person for the job. Should you or shouldn't you sign a contract, it is up to you and really depends on who you hire and how well you know that person. </li>

<li>B&G has to understand that if they want a photographer for $50/hr, then their best bet is getting a newbee and hope for the best.</li>

</ul>

<p>My assistant, when studio or client wants a second crew, shoots with me. On these gigs I get someone else to assist. The "2nd shooter" isn't someone who walks around with a big camera and looks important, but while I'm with bride's side, he's with groom's (or vice versa) while I might be doing B&G he's doing extended family portraits, etc etc... This guy, although doesn't consider him self a pro, since his future career is other then photography, none the less makes an effort to have a 2nd camera with at least 2set of batteries for each body, 3lens with overlapping zoom ranges. The only thing he doesn't have is the strobes thus he uses mine. Point being is that call it what you want but attending an affair and shooting it with making money, one has to be adequately prepared for it - if he/she isn't, then it isn't the person for you.</p>

<p>Adam</p>

<p><em>$50/hr - no proffesional photographer first camera or second will (or rather should) go work for that money. Pros have experience and thus a skill. This skill is valued and should be respected.</em><br>

You think $50/ hr is an unacceptable rate for a 2nd shooter who has no marketing costs, no responsibilities to edit, meet with clients, etc? Where I live that is excellent pay for a 2nd shooter. If they're worth more than that, their calendar should be filled with their own gigs.</p>