Second film body, any recommendations?

jared_angle

<p>When it comes to film, I've been using my Nikon F4s, which is quite hefty for carrying around for all-day events, especially outdoor car shows, which I've done a few of in this summer heat. I will admit that I've gone relatively camera-crazy recently, and I've decided that I want an additional film body. I'd like to go lighter, and I've been eyeing the FA and the FG cameras in particular.<br>

I am aware that neither will function properly with any G lenses, so I'm going to be using my AF 50mm 1.8D for the time being, and maybe add an AI or AIS 35mm lens later on. I realize that there is a large price difference (~$90 vs. ~$250) between the FG and the FA. What I'd really like to know is how the two cameras measure up to each other, based on size and handling/ease of use alone.<br>

If the FA is a decent enough size, I will most likely purchase it since it has features I use like matrix metering, but if the FG is significantly smaller than the FA to make a difference, I'll go with the FG to get the smallest camera possible.<br>

Or, should I check out an FE2 or something similar instead of the FG?<br>

This camera will likely always have a small standard lens mounted on it, and will mostly be for travel type images, when I don't want to have my F4 dangling around my neck and would rather leave the heavy stuff in my bag.</p>

<p>For $50-80, an FE or FG is a great, lightweight manual camera, but an N80 is also a light camera that also provides AF and works fine with G lenses and has excellent, modern matrix metering.</p>

<p>If you really want a manual camera, an FG is fine. But it won't get you all that much weight savings vs. an N80.</p>

<p>I used to own an FA as a smaller backup/companion body for my F4 (I have also owned the FG).</p>

<p>The FA is certainly larger than an FG, and also has a better build quality. You should be able to find a nice FA for considerably less than $250 ... most on eBay sell for $150 or less. It has a very smooth manual film advance. The FE2 is a bit more reliable (the FA is *very* complex electronically) with a very similar size and form factor, and has a much better metering display for manual exposure IMHO. I was never a fan of the simple +/- LCD in the FA after using the superb display of the F4. I didn't feel the addition of matrix metering on the FA was that big of a deal, but I was/am very used to center-weighted metering and compensating if necessary.</p>

<p>The biggest shortcoming with the FG is that there is no DOF preview, something you may find seriously lacking if you use that feature at all on the F4. It is a fun little body to use (especially with a small 50mm) with a nice big viewfinder. But it has neither the shutter speed range nor the build quality of the FE2 or FA. Film advance, while smooth, is considerably less silky than either the FA or FE2. But it is a fairly well made body (metal chassis, plastic top/bottom plates) and you can easily find them for under $50 on eBay. They tend to behave strangely with weak batteries (all speeds will fire at 1/90, mirror will eventually stick up) so use fresh S76/SR44 *silver-oxide* cells and keep a spare set in your bag.</p>

<p>Whatever model you get plan on replacing the mirror bumper foam and at least the hinge seal. I have sold many of these cameras over the last few years and have yet to see one that did not absolutely require a foam replacement. It might look good but as soon as you touch it it falls apart or compresses into a tarry goo.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"How does an F100 qualify ..."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Depends on what you compare it to. Compared to an F4s with a MB-21 6-cell pack loaded with alkalines, it's a lightweight. :-)</p>

<p>I have an F100 with a Kirk L bracket attached. Even with the bracket, it's a full 1/2 pound lighter than a "naked" MB-20 fitted F4 with lithium AA's.</p>

<p>I have an FG, which I used prior to getting an F4s. The limit that I hit was the low max shutter speed, in daylight situations. If you use a fast lens, and want to use it at low F numbers, you may run out of shutter speed. I did a few times. What I DO like about the FG is it has a row of LED dots for the meter, which will show more than the + - indicator in the FA, and it it easy to see in low light, where the match needle style is not so good. It does have TTL flash, where the FM series, does not, I think. It weighs nearly the same as a D40. After the F4s, it almost feels lick a point and shoot.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I had a similar idea of a light weight hiking camera. After thinking about it for a few months I decided on the Nikon N80. I bought it and when it arrived it was broken. It is now on it's way back for refund and I am back to thinking about it. I do not want to spend more on shipping for broken camera's so I am just going to sit on it for a while and carry my D200 as before..</p>

<p>Ross, I'm sorry to hear that your N80 arrived broken. Had it arrived as it should have, I think it would have suited your purposes very well. It certainly has for me. It's light, quiet and has all the features of an F100 other than metering with AI/S lenses and fast autofocus. </p>

<p>An F100 for $150? Wow!<br>

I have that camera and I like it, but I really like a manual camera. I got it because my vision has made the auto-focus feature necessary. I use diopters on my manuals, but they're not perfect.<br>

My favorite ever, I think, was the FG. I like the simplicity, and especially the metering system. I do have an FM2 and I like it, but when I get the chance I'll grab up another FG. </p>

<p>I have a little Nikon EM that I use as my street camera. It has a tiny 50mm f1.8 pancake lens, is in mint condition and cost me £10.00 GBP off Ebay.</p>

<p>The EM is a seriously under reated SLR. I'ts tiny - smaller than a Leica M8, lightweight and well built. I often take mine out in the pouring rain and shoot street photography, I make no effort to protect it in any way from the elements and it just keeps on working.<br>

Sure it's not in the same league as F series SLR's when it comes to build quality but It's not in the same price range either.<br>

I sold all of my film kit when I bought my first digital slr. A D700. Out went the F5, FM, Nikkormat EL, FM2n and various lenses that I was never going to use again.<br>

The only film slr that I kept was the little Nikon EM and the 50mm pancake lens. I also have a motordrive for it but never use it.<br>

Funnily enough I'm now looking for a second film body that I can use my new AFS G glass on and was going to get an F100<br>

In the end I've settled on a F80 (N80 i think in the USA) as it smaller and lighter than the F100 and will probably only get about a roll of film a month put through it.<br>

Now I've jumped to digital, I view film slr's as little more than a light box that I can put good quality film through and mount pro glass on to. In a way I wish my EM could take AFS G glass but it cant.</p>