Sears TLS: Black is Back!

<p>This is a 1967 Sears TLS camera in black finish. This is, without a doubt, the coolest looking 35mm film camera I own. Whenever I take it out, it always gets plenty of looks and comments. This manual classic is actually a Ricoh Singlex TLS rebranded with the Sears logo. Sears never made cameras but contracted with third parties to supply their stores. It’s the stylized S-R initials (Sears-Roebuck) against the shiny jet-black paint that gives it the cool looks. Some say it looks like an “atomic age butterfly”. Although few people today recognize it, it did have a couple of seconds of screen time in Oliver Stone’s movie J.F.K.<br>

The Sears TLS is a tank of a camera. Solidly built and heavy, over 2lbs, it offers photographers a precision steel platform that takes commonly found M42 screw mount lenses. It offers shutter speeds from B, 1- 1/1000 of a second from the legendary Copal Metal Square shutter and syncs flash at 1/125 second. The 675 1.3v mercury battery (I have a secret stash) only runs the match-needle CdS meter on this all-mechanical beauty. It has ASA speeds from 25-to-1600. </p><div>00VlUD-220365684.jpg.91c4b611be1a4547be77a4ebc104f161.jpg</div>

<p>In the hands, with the standard Sears 55mm f/1.4 lens, the Sears T.L.S. is one hefty SLR. It does feel good and solid and can be swung as a mace if self-defense is ever needed. The design is clean and classic. The shutter dial is located on the front and is surprisingly ergonomic. The film advance lever, however, is not and my thumb doesn’t like this lever much. The focusing screen, while adequate, is not as bright as some other M42 mount cameras I use. Both of these shortcomings were addressed, along with moving the shutter dial to the top deck, in the next model, the Singlex II. </p><div>00VlUH-220367584.jpg.51ed4fde1f779de52979f3122d385b16.jpg</div>

<p>For this camera I have a tidy line up of matched Sears M42 lenses. These are the Sears 55mm f/1.4, 28mm f/2.8, 135mm f/2.8 and 200mm f/3.5. These fine lenses, designed and built by Tomioka Optical Company, represent some of Japan’s best. The finely machined, knurled aluminum barrels encapsulate precision multi-coated glass. Since many of the uninformed are put off by the Sears brand name, these lenses can sometimes be found at bargain prices. The 55mm f/1.4 and the 200mm f/3.5, in particular, are superb. With adapters, they fit every 35mm camera, film or digital, I own. Here are some pictures made with this kit on Fuji Superia 400 film. </p><div>00VlUI-220367684.jpg.e19d5ef2879ef87d09bf54b02393b50b.jpg</div>

<p>Louis, "Old Tubs" and "Portrait of Angela" are amazing. They show the quality of lenses, but first of all your excellence as a photographer. What films did you use for these 2 images?</p>

<p>You said Sears is not your favorite m42 camera. What is, then?</p>

<p>Thank you for the pictures. Or maybe I should not thank you: I thought my adventure with m42 was over, but now I'm thinking of spending money again!</p>

<p>Impressive portfolio! A pleasure to see what you accomplished with equipment others would pass over at a Thrift store. I especially enjoyed your portrait of Angela. I recently got that Sears 135mm 2.8 for $5 in mint condition at a local Thrift store. Looks perfect for portraits. And that one is superb. The colors and her dress look right out of a magazine from 1940. How did you light it?<br>

Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to get out and play with my Sears 135 on a Spotmatic.</p>