Searching my files for a photo.

When I see a new theme posted and don't have anything current to submit I search my files. Somebody suggested "X" for a subject. Searching my files for "X" presented ever photo I have, not just "X". Same thing happened when I searched for "window". What is this old Mac thinking? Edited by Sanford
  • Like 1

"X" defied my searching also but this is a problem I have daily. No matter what keywords I assign there is another I should have used, so with every new theme I add another keyword but unless it comes around again it's wasted. I have to keep relying on my rapid failing memory but hopefully these searches are helping to postpone the inevitable:confused:
  • Like 4

A "Finder" search in a Mac will look at file names and directories, not key words or metadata. Lightroom has limited ability to search for metadata and key words.

I set up directories with a title containing a reverse date code for alpha-numeric sorting, and a brief description of the topic(s) in that folder.

For example: "D210531 PNET Searches". I won't care if the code duplicates in 2121, and I doubt anyone else will either.

I've been archiving on Flickr since 2007. I can search by date, key word or any word in the description. I keep the original file number as a Tag (key word). I can even search by color. Anyway, Out of 30,000+ images, I can usually get back to the original RAW file or JPEG in under five-minutes. Once I have the original file number from Flickr, Window File Search will get to the file in seconds, all on a 16-TB HD.
  • Like 1

If a cloud photo storage service goes out of business or changes their rules, you may have only days or weeks to recover your images. Storage is cheap, keep your images at your elbow. If you need remote access, save only copies on the web, or get a NAS drive.

If a cloud photo storage service goes out of business or changes their rules, you may have only days or weeks to recover your images. Storage is cheap, keep your images at your elbow. If you need remote access, save only copies on the web, or get a NAS drive.

We've veered off topic, but I half agree. I would never store images only on the web, but I would also never store them only locally, NAS or no NAS. To be safe, one backup copy should always be off-site.

Pre-web, people went to huge expense to make sure they had off-site backups. Decades ago, before the web, I visited the main computing facility of National Computer Systems in Iowa City, which was one of the world's largest test-scoing companies. They were responsible for storing the test data of millions of students in thousands of school districts. Their mirror was in Chicago. They had a duplicate of everything there, and they had a dedicated line to move everything from Iowa City to Chicago.

Years ago, I remember describing my work backup to a computer science faculty member. Her first comment was: "One copy has to be off-site."

My system for photos is simple: I have primary storage and one mirror on local drives and a third copy in a a cloud backup.

Years ago, I remember describing my work backup to a computer science faculty member. Her first comment was: "One copy has to be off-site."

I would submit that 'off-site' isn't quite enough. Those affected by the floods in New Orleans and Houston would probably agree. Here is where the cloud is useful.

Good old PN. The KGB was dissolved in 1991. Reference update required. :)

I found this in the Wikipedia article on the KGB:

"The KGB's main successors are the FSB (Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation) and the SVR (Foreign Intelligence Service)."

This is theme drift in the extreme.

One of my favorite No Words threads was based on theme drift. The OP asked that each subsequent poster choose an element or idea from the previous submission in the thread to use as a theme for the photo they’d choose. It led to kind of meandering, stream-of-consciousness thread. And, often, my favorite photos in more traditional No Words threads are ones that “push” the theme in unexpected directions.

The older I get, the less tied I am to where I thought I was going ...:)

• Like 3

"You talkin' to me?"

One of my favorite No Words threads was based on theme drift. The OP asked that each subsequent poster choose an element or idea from the previous submission in the thread to use as a theme for the photo they’d choose. It led to kind of meandering, stream-of-consciousness thread. And, often, my favorite photos in more traditional No Words threads are ones that “push” the theme in unexpected directions. ...

That was one of my favorite No Words threads as well, but, as I recall, it died after a while from enforcement of the "one submission per participant" rule, and there was no longer a continual supply of participants to keep it going.

Edited by Glenn McCreery

Meanwhile, Putin, an old KGB hand, is still doing fine.

And with the backing of the U.S. Republican Party, who have basically formed a coalition against democracy with him, now actively spreading his lies and propaganda. :mad:

"You talkin' to me?"

I'm still using Adobe Bridge on a Mac.

In it you have the option to do a "Spotlight search" or a "Bridge search".

My system requires a descriptive word or two in the image label like "20070316_2-001 Camel Market.CR2"

Modern long file names are a blessing in my "system".

Wait! I seem to inadvertently wondered back to the topic!

Shame on me.

Anyhow the real professionals were elsewhere

Stasi-XXX-pin_07e.jpg.6a742d461fda601c682c9c5cb24b419c.jpg