Seagate 1T External Desk Hard Drive

<p>Hello All,<br>

Santa brought me a Seagate 1T External Desk Hard Drive and I was wondering if anyone has used or knows about this product your info would be appreciated.<br>

I have read a few reviews and they have been mixed. Some have said that it is wonderful, and some have said it died in 1-10 days.<br>

Anyone?<br>

Thanks in advance,<br>

Dallas</p>

<p>plug it in, format it if it needs it, if it does not die, it's likely fine. most drives dive at startup or they last awhile. they all fail. I've lost seagates and WD's, that said i've got on seagate and two WD's on my desk that have been running for years. Of the 10 drives i own, i've only ever lost a WD and one segate, but i'be never owned anyothers. . . so, go figure. .</p>

<p>plug it in, if it words great use it, make sure your data is backed up and if it fails, send it back. . .</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Right. Don't keep all your eggs in one basket anyway - drives are quite inexpensive these days, so it's worth having at least an additional little portable external as a secondary dumping ground for backups while you're shuffling them around otherwise.<br /><br />WD and Seagate certainly make good enough drives. Physical shots, spotty power, big temperature swings, hot running environments... those are the things that wear out drives early. If you can, run your power through UPS to that the equipment doesn't get any hard power flashes, and that will make a big difference in the lifecycle. But as mentioned above, drives that survive the first week or two of use, and which are treated politely, will generally last for years of constant use. That would be the vast majority of them. </p>

Remember that people who have early deaths are far more likely to be motivated to write a review than the boringly satisfied.

<br><br>

I've always had good look with all the brands, I even had a Deathstar make it through 7 years of continuous use :-)

<br><br>

The only time I lost more than a file or two was when I fumbled a billiard ball (being used in a Kensington Turbo Mouse) onto

a drive running on the floor without a case. Hopefully you're a little brighter than that.