SD memory card for Nikon D80

gus_ziovakis

Rob Galbraith has tested the D80 with at least one 4G SD card:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-8531

If you mainly take casual shots and don't care whether you lose some shots, you can buy any brand of memory cards, and even Lexar and Sandisk fail occasionally. If you do care about your photography, I would gather more info before relying on those unknown brands.

Elliot, your d80 is coming in 3 days!? RAD! I ordered mine on the 23rd of August, I hope mine is here soon! I've been shooting 10 rolls a week for the last 8 years and printing in the darkroom. About a year ago I got a Dualscan IV and have been scanning a lot, but not printing hardly at all(no printer, money has to go to bills before prints at the lab-say my roomates). This will be my very first Digital and my very first brandnew camera. I am stoked. I'm hoping by January I'll have the money for a nice printer.

A couple months ago I bought an 8 GIG 100X PQI CF card ($169.00)at Outpost referred to above for my D2X. So far haven't had any problems and it seems fast enough. Hard to beat that price. Technically, the CF cards are all produced in giant fabrication plants in Taiwan, Korea, and China. I understand that Sandisk even has a 50% interest in a plant in Taiwan.

• 2 weeks later...

You can get a list of the approved cards on Nikon's tech support website, excerpted below. Go to http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?goingto=dtc_options&cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25412 then go to FAQs:

The following SD memory cards have been approved for use in the D80 digital SLR. All cards of the designated make and capacity can be used, regardless of speed.

Nikon 1GB

SanDisk 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, 2GB, 4GB

Panasonic 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, 2GB

Toshiba 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, 2GB

Other brands and capacities of cards may work, but Nikon cannot guarantee their operation. Check with the manufacturer of the third-party card for compatibility information. Nikon recommends keeping one of the approved cards available for troubleshooting.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...