Scratch removal program

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by teos, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Hello , again , everybody !
    Finally , I've got a 35mm film scanner ! Dimage III from Minolta Of course, would be fine a ICE one , but that's it !
    Do you know any effective (and free) software to help deleting the scratches , or I have to do all the job manually ?
    Thanks !

2. Do a search for Polaroid Dust and Scratch Removal tool. It's a free program, and does quite a nice job. I've used it quite a bit for scans from a Dual Scan IV.

3. Can you provide a link to download? I've tried some , but it seems it's not available anymore .

4. I downloaded PDSR a year ago. You'll have to search some more. Or send me e-mail and I shall send a CD.

5. Any mac solutions?

6. The links that Ingemar Lampa has given are good. PDSR is Windows only, and free; while the Image Trends product has a price and is available for both Windows and Mac. I have so far found nothing for Linux users.

7. Please keep in mind that these programs do a "best guess" which is quick and dirty. Unless you manage them manually, the quality of your scans will suffer. This is probably why Polaroid pulled the plug on their software.
    Only proper way is to use an ICE equipped scanner for C-41 and E-6 transparencies and even then, some say, sharpness suffers. That, and cleanliness is the only way. For traditional b&w when you can't use ICE, there is no other way. Like anything, it takes practice and discipline.
    Or, you could change to C-41 process b&w films which do allow you to use ICE.
    I had a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi II, not the Pro, and sold it just for that reason - and because there were no spares or current software anymore.

8. Photoshop's dust and scratch filter, with raised threshold, is actually pretty good. Try a radius setting around 5, then raise threshold and see how it goes. A setting of 15 for threshold (3 times radius) works pretty good.
    Also, when doing manual cleaning within Photoshop, in addition to healing and clone brushes, try History brush, sourcing from a History Pallet snapshot with heavy dust/scratch filter treatment. If the defects are dark set brush mode to lighten, and vice versa.

9. Photoshop's dust and scratch filter, with raised threshold, is actually pretty good. Try a radius setting around 5, then raise threshold and see how it goes. A setting of 15 for threshold (3 times radius) works pretty good.
    Also, when doing manual cleaning within Photoshop, in addition to healing and clone brushes, try History brush, sourcing from a History Pallet snapshot with heavy dust/scratch filter treatment. If the defects are dark set brush mode to lighten, and vice versa.

10. I am using now PolaDSR . The problem (apart of the time consuming process and the results so-so on badly scratched negs - I have to combine for the final retouching with a clone tool in Helicon Filter ) is that it provides Jpeg files(from BMP files) too compressed , around 2.2MB for a 10 MP file . Is there a way to set the output on a lower compressed file?

11. Here is the Mac version. But I think it is PPC only so you will need Rosetta installed. I have run this on OS X 10.6 just fine.
    http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/www.polaroid.com/service/software/poladsr/pdsrmac1_0.sit