Glasgow and back to Hull.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me something about great places

along this route (must not be ON the route, if it's worth the

detour, feel free to share!).

By just looking at the map, I was thinking of Northumberland

National Park (still in England), Edinburgh, the Firth of Forth Rail

Bridge, Glenmore and/or Tay Forest Park, Loch Ness (is it worth it,

even if I don't want to see any monsters?), Skye (where to go on

Skye, it's big!), Argyll/Queen Elizabeth Forest Park, Glasgow.

I'd appreciate it if you could tell me something about the above

locations, or other locations worth a visit. Especially about the

Parks, I do not intend to visit them all, which ones are the best to

visit? (ie easily accessible & beautiful).

One more specific question about the Firth of Forth bridge. From

looking at pictures (such as http://www.nireland.com/bridgeman/Forth%

20Rail%20Bridge.htm ) I can see that part of the bridge is

constructed on simple stone pillars, and part of it is the famous

iron construction. I would like to be on that side of the Forth,

that gives me the best view (ie the closest to) on the iron-

construction-part. Would that be the side of Edinburgh, or the

opposite side?

What I'm looking for (other than that view on the bridge) is mainly

nature and landscapes (hills, mountains, water). (Not wildlife, I do

not have any lenses longer than 100mm and I don't want to sit on a

place for hours waiting for a squirrel to pass). Wide landscapes

with hills and mountains, or lakes; or coastal lines are all fine.

Speaking of which, what a is beautiful part of the Scottish coast,

preferably somewhere between Skye (or at Skye) and Glasgow.

I shoot mainly 35mm Nikon, and have five lenses, both primes and

zooms covering the 18mm-100mm range. And a tripod, of course. I also

intend to give my Holga and Lubitel some more action, but that is of

lesser importance.

Thanks for any tips and hints in advance.

Even though you are not considering wildlife as a major element I would suggest that you give serious consideration to the Isle of Mull.It is scenically excellent with good coastline and the opportunity to take boat trips to the adjacent islands is one not to be missed (Fingals Cave for example).

Is it not possible to hire or borrow something bigger than 100mm say 200mm with a 1.5X or 2X converter. I believe you could seriously regret not doing this - wild deer,otters,seals,dolphins,golden eagles and even sea eagles are not that uncommen a sight.Give it some thought.

<P>Loch Ness is definitely worth a visit. It has a unique atmosphere. On the west coast I agree with Bill that Mull is a great landscape/nature area, but it's a ferry trip from the mainland and may not be practical on your trip. The landscape around Oban and south of it is very nice though. Also Loch Lomond is very scenic, though with less wildlife.</P><P>On the Scottish west coast in summer, the "midgies" are a factor to be reckoned with - swarms of tiny biting insects, which get in your ears and up your nose. Use insect repellant at all times.</P>

Personally I think Loch Ness is pretty dull compared to other lochs and places in the Highlands; if you're driving past it the eastern road is a nicer drive (but a small, windy road - much slower). Loch Lomond is OK but is always busy with people and again, there are nicer places. But it is very close to Glasgow, so it's handy if you're going to be staying in that area. The castle on the shore of Loch Ness (I forget the name) is quite picturesque, though.

Edinburgh and Glasgow are very different - Edinburgh is more picture-postcard, Glasgow more rough round the edges (but still a nice city).

Skye is beautiful, especially in the northern half: make sure you check out the road around the northern tip, it has some of the best scenery in the whole of Britain, plus lots of ancient ruins just off the road (buy an ordanance survey map, they'll be marked). The Cuillin mountains are also beautiful. If you can arrive via the bridge and leave by the ferry to Mallaig (or vice versa) I'd recommend doing that - the road from Mallaig to Fort William is a nice drive (Fort William itself is not very picturesque, though). Mallaig is a small fishing village, . The road across the Highlands to the Skye bridge is also a beautiful route, and will take you right past Eilean Donan castle (used in many films, like Highlander).

For many people (myself included), the most scenic part of Scotland is the coastal areas north of the Skye bridge - this is largely the part you see on postcards and calendars with mountains sweeping down into lochs or the sea, and lonely roads weaving through rocky hillscapes. If you can afford the time, I'd recommend a drive from Skye up to Ullapool, which is another nice fishing town. The coast of the mainland south of Skye is also nice, but it's much less dramatic.

The east of Scotland is very different from the west - in the north-east it's almost barren, whereas the areas just north of Edinburgh are OK, but can't compare (IMO) to the west. The lowlands, south of Edinburgh/Glasgow, can be really nice, but again they're different - more rolling hills and woods.

In northern england there are plenty of nice places - the obvious ones being the Lake District (a few hours south of Glasgow, might be worth returning via there), the Yorkshire Dales/Moors (a few hours south of Edinburgh, you'll drive through the moors on the way from Hull), and Northumberland, which has some lovely coastline.

A suggested vague route (plenty of omissions):

- Arrive in Hull

- A165 to North Yorkshire Moors (possible short visits to Whitby and/or Staithes, nice fishing towns)

- Northumberland (Bamburgh / Alnwick castles?, coast)

- Edinburgh, maybe Stirling (nice castle)

- A9 to Inverness (past Loch Ness if you like, or not)

- A832/A835 to Ullapool (day-trips north?)

- Coastal road south toward Skye (possible Diversion to Eilean Donan)

- Bridge to Skye

- Explore Skye (especially North)

- Ferry to Mallaig (may have to book in advance)

- Coast road south towards Mull or Fort William/Glen Coe (v.scenic)

- Glasgow / Loch Lomond

- A74/M74/M6 to Lake District

- A65 past Yorkshire Dales (Ribblehead Viaduct) to Leeds

- M62 back to Hull

That could easily take you 3 weeks with stopovers, and depending how much driving you want to do - and there are plenty of things I've missed out. Hope thats helpful - have a good time!

If you can, try to catch some Highland Games too, it's a good day out.

I'd agree (largely) with Mark. Loch Ness is very touristy, as is Loch Lomond. The best scenery is north of Kyle of Lochalsh. Up towards Ullapool, via the Applecross Road. If you want tot view of the Forth Bridge as you mentioned, then you need to be on the Edinburgh side of the Forth, at Inverkeithing. The road leads down under the bridge, and there's a car park and ferry terminal, should you want to visit the small islands like Inchholm. Make sure you visit inthe evening, as you'll get the setting sun on the bridge.

If you get to Inverness, cross over to the West coast, towards Ullapool, then travel south over the Applecross Road and you'll get stunning views from the Pass of the Cattle. Then you can go through numerous small villages on your way to Skye. When you get to Skye, like Mark said, by all means go up North, but personally, I'd head West on Skye to Elgol. The road is narrow, but photo ops appear from nowhere, and there's plenty to see.

On the way back from Skye towards Fort William, you'll pass Eilan Donan, very picturesque, if not a little over done.

As with every photo trip, if the light is right, you'll run out of film, if it's wrong, you'll run out of crossword puzzles !

A few thoughts

Whilst inland Northumberland is interesting, there isn't much there that you won't beat in Scotland. The coast is extremely good photographically and with a mix of castles and great beaches. The most interesting area starts at Warkworth and extends north to Holy Island.

If you really do want to stay in inland Northumberland then a base in Wooler or Rothbury, and driving along the valleys towards Cheviot, will provide good photogrqphic opportunity.

Eastern Scotland is less interesting and dramatic than the west in most respects with the exception that Edinburgh is a more attractive and touristy city than Glasgow. Mr Pirie might want to clarify his post though since Inverkeithing is on the north bank of the Forth, whereas Edinburgh is south and its east of the bridges not westso you wouldn't get afternoon sun on the bridge from round there.

Like others I think Loch Ness is pretty dull , and I were to spend time round Inverness then it would probably be along the Glens of Affric, Cannich and Strathfarrar, south -west of the Inverness. These have lots of trees and whilst at their best in October, should still provide some good views of rivers, lochs and woods together.

Up in the north-west the scenery is altogether different- few trees or people, and huge expanses of hilly moorland , bogs , little lakes and so on. May well be nicely coloured heathers at this time of year. I like this part of Scotland for its coastline, and atmosphere, especially if it rains. A clear blue sky up here isn't what you want. The entire area between Scourie (N of Ullapool) and Kyle of Localsh for the Skye Bridge is worth exploring.

I might be the only person who finds Skye overrated. I simply don't see whats so different between it and the mainland and in many senses I'd just as soon photograph Skye from the mainland than the other way around. For me if I got as far as the north around Uig I'd be tempted to put the car on a ferry and take the (relatively) short crossing to Tarbert on Harris. From there you can get to Lewis (Callanish Standing stones) and some of the best beach scenery you'll ever see. By use of short ferries and causeways you could spend a week along Lewis, Harris, the Uists and Benbecula in beautiful surroundings and if I were spending three weeks in Scotland in summer thats exactly what I'd do as my no. 1 priority.

Back on the mainland Glencoe and surroundings, some way south of Fort William, are also a major highlight. The valley itself opens up onto desolate but much-photographed Rannoch Moor to the south and Glen Etive leads off.

A little north of Glasgow, the Trossachs area from Lochearnhead and including Aberfoyle and Callender have some very attractive scenery though it might be busier. I've never really understood the Scottish love-affair with Loch Lomond - there's so much up there that's nicer in my view but its part of the same area.

En route back to Hull, the Lake district is in some ways an smaller scale and romanticed version of Scotland, though its greener and in summer can be very busy indeed. It looks very "pretty" though once up on the hills there's some serious walking/climbing. At most times of the year I might suggest the Lakes, but if you're talking August I'd probably opt for the nearby Yorkshire Dales instead, west of Richmond and Ripon, east of Kendal. Very green , lots of stone-built villages, and enough relief to make it interesting.

Regarding the midges. A medium-weight suit of armour should do, and a small brush to get rid of their footprints in the foregrounds. Seriously, take the best repellent you can find and be prepared to cover up well early and late in the day.

Renting a lens for the full three weeks would be way too expensive, I figured, so I thought about renting one in Scotland. Then again, it would probably be a hassle -- finding one, returning it afterwards, ... No big problems, but when I'm on vacation I just want to be as 'free' as possible.

But! Overnight (it must have been those fairies!) some 75-300 Nikkor glass mysteriously came into my possession (a trip to an old friend and $200 might have had something to do with it, too).

I cannot thank you all enough for the brilliant and in-depth replies. I only had a quick read through them, but I already found them to be very helpfull. Later on today I will print this thread, and read all of it very carefully with a map of Scotland and big marker in my hand.

Thank you, all of you!

For the Bridge, the best location is South Queensferry, which is worth a wonder around for

itself.

Edinburgh is a truly amazing city, even with all the tourists, but the festival is about to

start so it'll be busier than ever, and accomodation will be scarce & expensive. That said,

the city is fuller than ever with weird people during festival, with lots of 'street

photography' opportunities. I had a flat in the Old Town when I lived there, and one

evening I came back to find the staircase being used by a festival theatre troupe - 'Glamis

thou art, and Cawdor, and shalt be what thou art promised...' - it's not often you find Lady

Macbeth at the bottom of your staircase!

One the west coast I'd recommend the Oban area, and the drive from there round to

Inveraray and on down into the peninsula. There's an excellent ferry from Dunoon to

Gourock with stunning views back north across the Clyde.

On Skye, the Trotternish Penninsula has two fine landscapes at The Old Man of Storr and

the Quiraing. Both offer highly dramatic, almost fantasy landscapes -- if you're willing to

hike a bit -- elevation gains of about 1,000 to 2,000 feet.

Last summer's vacation we were midge free at Skye -- so much so that I left the repellent

in the hotel room when we reached Glen Coe. Big mistake.

• 1 year later...