Schneider M42 Lenses for Mirrorless Cameras

zack_zoll

<p>Hi all. I'm writing today to share some great information that I've very recently come across. For those of you that are using mirrorless cameras and want top-quality lenses, but cannot afford a Leica or Zeiss, there is a great, inexpensive option for you. Back in the early 70s, Schneider made a series of lenses for the M42 mount, aka the Pentax screw mount. Quality-wise, they seem to be somewhere in between the two; not <em>quite</em> as sharp as the Zeiss lenses, and not <em>quite</em> as dreamy as the Leicas. But considering the relatively low price they can be had for on eBay, I have zero complaints.</p>

<p>I've attached photos taken with the 50mm f/1.9, and the 135 f/3.5 lenses, both as shot by my NEX-7. And yes, I have noticed that I have some dust on my sensor :) These images are almost exactly as-shot - I adjusted the white balance on the 50mm lens image, and did nothing at all to the 135mm lens image. There are 100% crops of both. RAW conversion was done in Lightroom, with all sliders set to the default neutral, aside from the white balance on the one image.</p>

<p>50mm f/1.9:<br>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zack_zoll/8291481036/in/photostream<br>

100% crop:<br>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zack_zoll/8291480974/in/photostream<br>

135mm f/3.5:<br>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zack_zoll/8290423281/in/photostream<br>

100% crop:<br>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zack_zoll/8291480722/in/photostream</p>

<p>The 50mm photo was taken at f/11, and the 135mm image was taken at f/16. Theoretically, the 135mm image could have been a bit sharper if I had used f/11 there as well. But since the image was already SO sharp, I figured anything more would mean extra editing on my part. The 50mm isn't quite as tack-sharp as the Zeiss, but I think the 135mm is probably as sharp as anything else I own, and I absolutely LOVE the colour on both of these lenses. The 135mm has a white balance shift that occurs when focusing close - it's much bluer, but easily correctable - but this is a problem common to most telephoto lenses of that time period. My Nikon and Minolta 135mm lenses did it too.</p>

<p>You can't tell from these images, but bokeh is excellent as well. It's not as good as on Nikon's 85mm f/1.4 or most Leica glass, but it is as good as on any lens that isn't specifically known for its bokeh. There are only a few (non-rounded) aperture blades though, so highlights render as fairly distinct shapes. My Hassy lenses do this too. It's not nearly enough to ruin images, but it's the one thing that makes me still want Leica glass :)</p>

<p>Anyway, I just thought I'd keep you all informed. There's an awful lot of talk about which lenses to use on a mirrorless camera, but I don't see too much discussion of Schneider, so I figured I'd throw it out there. I didn't even know they existed until someone I knew told me he had the 135mm, and asked if I wanted it. Apparently they didn't import a lot of them into the States.</p>

<p>There is also a 50mm f/2.8 and a 35mm f/2.8 as well. These are from a different series than the two lenses I purchased. I'm told by people that sold the gear back then that they were considered just as good on the Pentax bodies, but I have no idea how well they'll work on a digital camera.</p>

<p>Cheers!</p>

<p>Thanks for the info Zack. I really wasnt aware of the selection of Shneider lenses in M42. I really like M42 lenses and I am always on the lookout for them on craigslist and thrift stores. They are some of the best feeling lenses I think ever made for cameras and I love the 'open source' nature where the same mount was made by so many different makers.</p>

<p>I normally lean toward Mamiya Sekors and old Yashinons but I will be on the lookout for Shneider now. Some of the prices are still a little more then my current budget allows, but they are cheaper then Leicas it seems.</p>

<p>Good stuff. Thanks again for the post.</p>

<p>I had some of these lenses back in the 70s, and I particularly remember using the 50 1.9 lens. My recollection is that, while overall resolution was very high, acutance was rather poor. Also these were externally single-coated optics (no internal coating), if my memory serves correct. They worked well in a controlled (studio) environment but proved to be less than stellar for outdoor/landscape work. I ended up preferring the M42 Pentax SMC Takumar lenses, particularly the wonderful 85mm 1.8.</p>

<p>Colin, glad to see I'm not the only one. It's nice to have one's opinions validated :)</p>

<p>Horse, they do indeed appear to be single-coated. I haven't had any acutance issues yet, but then again I strongly prefer single-coated lenses, and I've never tried to use the Schneider on a sunny day. I have noticed that, between the single coating and the colour rendition of the NEX-7, those lenses render colours very similarly to 6x7 film. That's a massive 'pro' for me, but I do understand that lenses with newer coatings will technically be more accurate.</p>

<p>Oh, and Merry Almost-Christmas everyone!</p>