Schneider 75 mm F8 Super-Angulon

christos_chatzoglou

Hi.

I want to ask some questions about this lens

1. Is enough the image circle of 181mm at f\16 to cover 4x5 with some

movements (actually i never shoot less than f\22 and only landscape work)?

2. How perform vs the 75 SA f\5.6?

3. Needs a centre filter like the 75 SA f\5.6?

4. Which is its price today in the used market?

I intent to used this lens with a Tachihara and i don"t know if for this focal

length needs to drop down the "bed" of the camera (something that anoying me a

lot).

Thank you.

I don't know anything about this lens so I'm no help there.

But I do shoot a 65mm f8 Ilex Acugon on my Tachihara and have no problems with the bed. Slide the back standard forward all the way and then set the front standard. This moves the lens towards the front of the camera, taking the bed out of play.

christos, here is the data for the S/A 75/8

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/super-angulon/data/8-75mm.html

I have only used a S/A 65/8 from about 1966. I found it very nice sharp lens to use though the image circle allows only a small amoout of movment onto 4x5, mosty back movements. I made a special board for it to make the most of what movements were available.

From the data sheet it looks as though the 75mm has a 181mm image circle so you should get better movements than the 65mm f8.

In my camera (MPP Mk VII - like a Linhof Technika Mk IV) the bed had to be dropped. Not sure about your camera but if you cnn slide the back forward you should be all right.

Well the diagonal of 5x4 film is just over 150mm, so you can theoretically move the film by plus or minus 15mm diagonally. A little more straight up, down or sideways. If you draw yourself a 181mm diameter circle on paper, you can see exactly how far you can move the lens by dropping a 5x4 neg inside the circle.

However I've personally found that the corners are less than crystal sharp with this lens, even with no camera movements, and the corners just get worse when any movement is applied. So it depends how smeary you're willing to let the corners get.