ScanScience wet Mounting Pro Kit (V750)

I have the Epson V750, and was recently surprised to read in Amateur

Photographer magazine last week, that owners of the above can contact Epson

with the serial number of their scanner, and Epson will send the Fluid

Mounting Accessory free of charge. Apparently V700 owners will have to pay for

theirs. I duly contacted Epson UK, and mine is on it's way...which is nice!.

I subsequently read that the design leaves a little to be desired, and the

extra detail, less grain, and increased contrast usually gained in 'wet

scanning' is somewhat negated due to the sensor having to scan through an

extra 2mm of glass, causing extra defraction.

I have noticed that manufacturers of the ScanScience Pro Kit claim their

product to be superior, mainly due to the fact that the sensor has to scan

through only 1mm of glass, and the unit's height can be adjusted, whereas the

Epson cannot. Has anyone here used the ScanScience product on the V750?.

Damien Demolder, who tested the Epson Fluid Mounting Accessory, was impressed

with it, but if the ScanScience product is substancially better, I might be

prepared to part with my money.

I just received a ScanScience kit today and will be working with it later this week or early

next week.

Using the Epson Fluid Mount Tray is a vast improvement over non fluid mount holders but

I will be lookingto seeif theScanScience product increases the quality overthat. Be aware

that Epson doesnot include Aztek KAMI fluids opr other necessary fluid mounting supplies.

I assume that part of the decidion i nthis is financial and the other part is the liability of

selling votatile fluids. Aztek's KAMI kit is about $40 USD) more that the complete

ScanScience kit and Julio Fernadez of ScanScience claims that his fluid is much less volatile

(if at all volatile) than the KAMI fluid.

The inclusion of the Epson FMT in the V-750 is one of the features of the standard parts

of the V-750 M pro kit as sold in the USA. That Epson UK didn't see it that way is a

shame.

I would really appreciate your feedback Ellis, once you've had a chance to run some tests with the new holder Ellis. I have Doug's new V750 Holder for my 6x7 transparencies, which I am very happy with, but I'm just starting into 4x5, and I think the fluid mount will really bring out the best of those trannies, and cut out any issues on keeping the film flat.

Hi All: The words volatile and flammable need to be distiguished, thanks Ellis for helping me realize I have not explained it all that well. A liquid can be A) volatile and not flammable B) volatile and flammable or C) neither volatile nor flammable. The last of these are oils, they require painstaking cleaning because they remain unless removed. Category B) are volatile and flammable, they do not need post cleaning but are a safety hazard. The ScanScience fluids fit in category A, they evaporate clean but are not flammable at room temperature. The prime fluid in the ScanScience line was formulated to balance evaporation rate, working time and safety, for the operator, the film and if you use a drum scanner, the drum. If any of you have used other fluids try this experiment: put a bit of each fluid in two separate white polystyrene (not rubber) foam cups and see what happens after a few hours.

Regards,

All things considered, then, does anyone think a more economical purchase would be the V700 and Julio's ScanScience kit, rather than the V750, if you're planning on buying the ScanScience anyway? I haven't heard of GREAT quality difference in scans between the V700 and V750.

I also understand the software package with the V750 is more complete, so that's another factor to consider.