scanning with linux ubuntu

<p>Hi,<br>

I am operating in Linux Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex). I am hoping to get a film scanner and it looks like Epson seems to have the best compatibility with Ubuntu. Has anyone had good (or any) experiences scanning with Ubuntu? I will not be running any windows type programs like Wine. It looks like vuescan or sane are the way to go for scanning software. I will be most interested in the Epson V700 scanner because it does 3 formats of film. Any input is appreciated.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Steve</p>

<p>I use Vuescan and the Epson V700 under ubuntu. Works fine.</p>

<p>Vuescan is good at scanning, but pretty frustrating for anything else, so I just scan straight and save the resulting images at 16 bits per channel. Then I use UFraw to set black and white point, color balance adjustment, curves, scaling and cropping. Last I use Gimp for local edits (dust spotting, sharpening and so on). I have a preset for UFraw specifically for film scan edits (set color temperature to 6500 and green value to 1.0 to get the same color you got from Vuescan for instance).</p>

<p>One wrinkle is that while DNG output from Vuescan works fine for color images, it does something strange with black and white that UFraw is not reading correctly. So for black and white I use TIF file, 16 bit gray, no compression and no profile. UFraw reads that fine.</p>

<p>I am also using Ubuntu 9.04 exclusively, and I also use it for scanning. Vuescan is the way to go (SANE is just a driver package, the scanning front-end is very primitive).</p>

<p>I also scan to DNG, but I find UFRaw inadequate. For RAW processing, I suggest RAWTherapee (www.rawtherapee.com) which is very good.</p>