"scanning" with a dslr; tips/advice sought.

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by michael_greer|2, Dec 29, 2017.

1. It's processed, perhaps minimally and has nothing in common with a true raw file that must undergo rendering. Far more processed than that kind of data. White Balance is baked into TIFF as just one example.

2. 4x5 scan set up.jpg

This is my set up for DSLR scanning of 4x5 and medium format negatives (all black and white). It is an adaptation of my old 4x5 De Jure Versitile Professional enlarger and uses the enlarger's cold light head as a light source (only for B&W). Negatives are mounted in the enlarger's original holders and placed above the cold light head plus frosted glass plate and an additional larger plate glass plate. The purpose of the larger glass plate (not shown) is so that the negative carriers may be positioned for multiple exposures of partial areas of the negative, to be stitched together later in Photoshop. With accurate alignment, no refocusing between exposures is necessary. Initial focusing of the Canon 100mm macro lens employs live view and 10x magnification. Four exposures of overlapping areas are used for 4x5 negatives. I find that one exposure is sufficient for medium format (with my new Canon 5D IV). Using a cable release and waiting a few seconds for vibrations to die down before exposure are necessary for sharp images.