I am currently looking for a lab to scan my 35mm slides mostly shot with an

M6. I am shooting velvia and are hpoing to retain the brilliance of the slide

through the scan. I have had one scan done and was not really impressed... It

seems that drum scanning (wet) is the way to go? These are the three scanners

available to me here in Sydney:

Imacon flextight, Fuji Linova, Linotype hell

Any comments or advise on scanning velvia would be appreciated.

thanks

number one you want to ask about colorspaceand bit depth. You want a color space bigger than Adobe RGB(1998), preferably EktaSpace or Chrome 100, or if necessary Pro Photo, all of which will require 16 bit per channel. You definitely want RGB not CMYK.

And you need to see samples or test. Making high quality scans is not an automatic process, given the short list of machines you listed all are very good so you then need to look at the human factor.

If you have more 30-50 slides to scan it might make more economic sense for you to get a Nikon Coolscan 5000 and SilverFast Ai 6.5.5 Studio scanning software (which comes with its own IT-8 scannign target, the profiling software is built in, and a basic color management tool like an X-Rite Eye One Display 2 to make sure that what you see on your monitor is an accurate view of your data.

I would base Ur decision, Jascha, on the quality of Ur originals. All well exposed, non too dark, light or contrasty..? Most quality scanners with one of the better sw's should do just fine. For difficult slides I suggest Imacon just behind a top notch drum scanner. I myself have several scanners, for various purposes, but take my tuff scans to a service lab with the Imacon 848, which I'm allowed to work on myself. It's rather easy and the results are often a life-saver.

As to SF with the Nik. 5000 ED, I have to disagree with Ellis Vener... I've used SF AI 6 extensively on my Pol. 4000 as well as with a flatbed scanner. I like the working environment with it's many easy to apply features a lot. When I got the 5000, I immediately downloaded a trial version of AI 6.5 with the much heralded "Multiple Exposure" app. In my book, it doesn't do what it promises. Pepper grain remains as hot as ever. Hi-lite areas get washed out instead of the promised improvement of details. On the other hand the scans with only the sw that comes with the Nik. machine, tend to turn out somewhat dark. But that's easy to correct via "Exposure" in the Shop. In SF U can adjust the Gamma setting. Haven't found that feature just with the Nikon. Did I miss something, Ellis..? Anyhow, Jascha, a lot also depends on the ultimate destination of Ur scans. If U need to make large size prints, go for the best scans (or scanner) U can afford!

Thank you both for your help. I am going into the lab tomorrow to talk with them about the scans. I usually shoot black and white and only shoot about 1 colour to 10 b&w. I have about 20 slides to be scanned. They are not too expensive only $12US each for a 10 meg file. At this stage it for my website but I will print them in the future.

It seems it is really a matter of taste and the ability of the operator. I think they all will perform well so it will really depend on my 'vision'. They are all good quality with good exposures and have good shadow highlight detail. From what I have seen on the web the Fuji will work best for me as the Imacon seems slightly less contrasty and a little flat and the Linotype Hell is too expensive and probably not necessary for a smaller file.

I am going to talk to the technician about the 16 bit depth and software. I will bring the two different scans home and compare them.

Thanks again