Scanning Minox Negatives

malcolm_denton

I use Plustek OpticFilm 8200i scanner and FilmScanUSA.com Minox film holder to scan Minox negative at 7200 dpi

You may use a piece of black paper , cut out a mask for Minox negatives and put in into Minolta 5400 35mm

film holder

Edited by MTC Photography

Top of the line Plustek 8200 i AI scanner

it can scan

35mm slide, with 35mm slide holder

35mm negative(B&W, color) with 35mm negative carrier

16mm film with FilmScanUSA.com 16mm film holder

Minox film with FilmScanUSA.com Minox film holder + adpater

There is a simplified version Plustek 8200 i SE at nearly half the price of AI version ( I don't know what is the limitation of this model).

644573393_1-Plustekholders.thumb.jpg.dc45b40b7b4ae04b3b33f6b70e77b6cc.jpg

Top:

FilmScanUSA.com Minox film holder, must used with two adapters

FilmScanUSA.com Minox 110/ 16mm film holder,

FilmScanUSA.com Minox 110/16mm film holder, must used with adapters

Plustek 35mm negative film holder

Plustek 35mm slide holder

Depending on what sort of digi-gear you have around another possibility would be using a macro lens on a DSLR and a light table. The rather small Minox frame can make even that a bit tedious, but it's doable. I've tried some "proof of concept" tests, but would want to make a fairly solid stand of some sort to do it seriously. One could even use a white screen photo displayed on a smart phone or tablet for a light box if it's far enough out of the focal plane to avoid the dot grid showing up. Necessity is the mother of invention, etc, etc.

Meanwhile I got a Mamiya "ENLA" unit off the big auction site so I can make a print if I feel the need.

Many thanks for your responses. I think it's time for the craft knife and strips of card,or possibly find a way to fit the negatives into one of the many old slide mounts I have around the place.

Yes, I had an old PrimeFilm something or other 35mm scanner for which I made an imitation slide mount out of a couple layers of posterboard with a bit of two-ply Bristol board in the center. It was cut with a channel and mask for Minox frames. That worked fairly well, although the scanner resolution wasn't all that high. Alas, that scanner died and its replacement is much more difficult to deal with physically.

Edited by dave_thomas|8

Given the same resolution, scanner is better than DSLR, because scanner produce even and flat field resolution across the entire image field

while macro lens inevitable suffers lost of resolution at the corners and edges, due to image field curvature

Well to fill the frame of the digi-cam with the 8x11mm Minox frame needs about 2x to 3x magnification, so one can use extension tubes or bellows and only the center coverage of the lens is in play. The main problem is to have a really rigid setup with almost micrometer precision adjustment to optimize the focus and framing. "One of these days" I'll get back to playing with it some more.

I have a Minox B bought new in the 1960s during a moment of excess disposable income, but it's always been a sort of love/hate relationship, I find it rather tedious to work with. The results are at best barely OK -- especially now that I shoot mostly medium format. After putting it aside for about three decades, this latest exercise was to try some of the newly available Blue Moon film offerings to see if I should reconsider. I'm still considering .... :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

So here is what we do at MS Hobbies.

Colour:

I found that the Minolta 5400 set at 2700dpi gives sharper results than at 5400 dpi. Same applies to Nikon LS4000 (4000/2000pi). We used a special holder in the

Minolta made out of a AN 35mm glass slide with a channel for a Minox negative line of 10. The Nikon we use a single cardboard 35mm mount with a 8x11mm window (these are from the 1960's, green). Nikon is less hassle, Minolta, slightly better results.

Software? Colorfast pliugin for photoshop for colour balance. Does a much better job than default PS settings.

Black and White.

Umm. I still cannot beat printing the BW negatives with a Minox III enlarger then scanning the print. Make sure you get one with a diffuser. The III is much brighter than the II even with the same minox bulb. I did a test for a customer and sent him two scans: he went for the enlarger scan immediately.

An interesting game is to use the BW enlarger and then copy on DSLR and macro lens. For colour, you are hampered by the vignetting of the light on the edges of the Minox frame, but you get HQ results - no dust or scratch.

filmscan USA - the adapter is VERY fussy about film width. Curly negatives are not well handled.

PS Do not be fooled by the false promise of the Minox Colour Enlarger. It was designed to do Agfa CN film - which does not have an orange base. It does not the power to light C41 negatives.

Expect much more Minox on British TV this coming Autumn: the VEF Riga will be in action.

• 1 year later...

Sometimes it's just easier to scan an entire strip (with one of the flatbed scanners, for example). and peel it apart in an image editor...

Here is the first step in doing a View-Master (SP-9055) reel

Prehistoric-Cliff-Dwellers-of-Mesa-Verde-SP-9055.thumb.jpg.543e5be552532c736a0281f845f6e318.jpg

copying and rotating gets individual units right

• Like 2

Sometimes it's just easier to scan an entire strip (with one of the flatbed scanners, for example). and peel it apart in an image editor...

Here is the first step in doing a View-Master (SP-9055) reel

[ATTACH=full]1278627[/ATTACH]

copying and rotating gets individual units right

Oh, is that cool! Never thought of making a Viewmaster reel with Minox photos. Do you know where to get the reels? I have a Viewmaster collection and always intended to buy a camera, but never did.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...