scanning film (epson scan) - result differs from preview

hello dear people :)

I'm new into scanning negative films, using an old epson perfection 3490 photo and epson scan. It's going well, but there's one problem I can't solve.

I've edited the preview of the picture to a point where I'm happy with (see first pic). If I scan it at 600 dpi, the actual scan looks like the preview and everything's fine (see 2nd pic). But once I increase the scanning resolution up to 1200 dpi (or higher), the final scan looks weirdly darker than the preview and it's not longer the result I'm looking for (see 3rd pic - only thing I changed is the resolution, everything else is set exactly the same!). I've got no idea why this is and how to solve it. I would be extremly glad, if someone's able to help me on that.

img_I.thumb.jpg.c9e6c490696812e69f1a6d8e425fa193.jpg

1458860809_bw002.jpg.75bb45b64c8c8b3288a3b37f838f6f93.jpg

631859861_bw001.thumb.jpg.391664dbadbd5e036a69675b32572fb3.jpg

Edited by manumustermann

Hmm. Sounds familiar, though I don't have an answer.

I have an Epson 3200 which I use with an OS X system.

I believe I have had scans come out darker than I thought, but then I read the into Preview, adjust to make it no so dark, and then it is fine.

I haven't done it enough times to know why or when.

-- glen

I never cared for the Epson software for image processing. I only use the software for scanning, with no corrections applied, and then process the resulting full-sized .tiff file in another program. I then save the processed image as .jpeg, leaving the source image untouched (other than the dust removal, which I do by hand).

My usual workflow is: scan with Epson scan as a .tiff (at desired output dpi) > open image in processing software > clone out dust > save .tiff > make global and local adjustments > save as .jpeg

Edited by CoryAmmerman

It might be different between Windows and OS X.

In the OS X case, it uses Image Capture (part of OS X) as the user interface, but

somehow connects to the scanner with Epson drivers.

I haven't scanned anything especially high quality on that scanner, so haven't tried so

hard to figure out how it (doesn't) work. Last summer, I used some 120 film,

including VPL, in a Brownie 2(F), which is a fine (brown!) aluminum box camera.

I also had a slightly nicer Agfa folding 120 camera, with more shutter speed

and aperture settings.

Some of the shots might have been underexposed, so making scanning harder.

-- glen