scanning C prints on epson expression 11000xl vs. V800

brendagarcia

Hi, I recently got the epson expression 11000xl scanner to use for larger c prints i do in the darkroom. The problem i've been having is that im seeing these tiny white spots (that i first thought was dust but actually grain?) show up on the scans from the 11000xl but not from my other scanner, epson V800. They both scan in the same sharpness and quality but for some reason, the grain only shows up on the 11000xl and it's driving me crazy. The paper i use is Fuji Crystal Archive Matte and i read somewhere it has texture but like i said before, i do not understand why the grain shows up in one scanner but not the other. Both were scanned without the dust removal or grain removal option thing on silverfast. Here's a comparison of a print scanned on both, it's already labeled but left is 11000xl and the right is the V800. I cleaned the print, cleaned the scanner glass five billion times and it still scans like that. I brightened the photo so you can see the grain and details. Help!

COMPARISION2.thumb.jpg.0af55549251cfc3545913d46331b2cf0.jpg

The difference that stands out, to me, is the light source used. Xenon tube on the 11000XL, and white LED on the V800. So I suspect the position of the light source relative to the sensor axis varies between scanners, with one of them being more co-axial than the other.

It seems likely that the spots are specular reflections from the print texture in the 11000XL scans, with the V800 light source not causing such reflections.

A scan of a small mirror might show a distinct difference in brightness, which would confirm a difference in apparent light direction.