Scanning Artifacts

Hi all,

I've recently begun developing my own film and have bought a Epson Perfection v550 to help me digitize my negatives. However, on frames where there are extremely dark areas, the scans appear to be filled with black squares. I thought it may have been a compression issue but the artifacts appear on .jpeg and .tiff scans. If anyone has ever seen anything like these and may know a fix, I'd be grateful.

Thanks

img008.thumb.jpg.60b76fdc3e65dc82146ff50234be70a3.jpg

2006476106_scanartifacts.PNG.c9de7dc116f60274aa4ae9ae0ece5663.PNG

Take a small, but bright, LED flashlight and shine it at an angle and very close to the bottom glass of your scanner. Look to see if the glass has a deposit over it caused by the plastic parts out gassing over time. Your black "squares" do not have the appearance of fungi, which shows up as a fuzzy grey smudge on my V600 glass. I am "guessing" that this negative is 120 square due to the developing artifacts notable on the margins, both vertical & horizontal. Your developing procedure might also be causing the "squares". Aloha, Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Also, pushing up contrast, and other single factors will create these kinds of artifacts, not just the ICE witch's brew of functions.

I confess that my first response to 'scanning artifacts' brought this to mindo_OPaleo.jpg.61b0c081075b708f6c8e34eb9fe9b112.jpg

Pedernales point from north central Kansas

Edited by JDMvW