Hello,

I have a user guide/manual for a Mamiya 645e Medium Format. I am wanting to

scan the manual into one continuous PDF document. I decided on doing this after

discovering that a google search couldn't produce a single manual/guide on the

645e camera.

However, when I use the software provided on my Epson 4490 Scanner it seems all

I can to is scan in one page per document. Which then must be assembled. I'm

dreading this. There has to be a better way. Does anyone have any ideas or

insight on a better way of going about this?

Thank you

Ted

<p><i>it seems all I can to is scan in one page per document. Which

then must be assembled. I'm dreading this</i></p>

<p>Yes, there is a better way but you have to have access to Acrobat

Professional. There, you can do File->Create PDF->Scan or something

like that, but you still have to feed pages to the scanner of

course. Because you need to feed pages to the scanner anyway, why

not just number each page 0xx or something, and then assemble from

the folder (just as fast as the first method, and I believe packages

other than Acrobat should do this one)?</p>

Several freeware programs exist that install like a printer driver and "print" to a PDF file. That's the last part of your problem. I'm not familiar with the Epson 4490 but I fear that you have to scan each page seperately. You can then collect the scans, for instance in MS Word or a similar program and print to a PDF file. Alternatively you can try a program that lets you print multiple pages like Irfanview. I just came across a mention of the freeware program PDF creator in a computer magazine, but I have no experience with it.

Another option is a photocopier that is able to produce scans, we have such a machine at work. Perhaps a library or copy facility in your town can be of help.

I don't see an easy solution to the problem of assembling the pages into one document, perhaps the Epson software can help?

cute pdf printer

The Epson scan software does allow you to scan multiple pages to a single PDF document. You need to use the Epson Smart Panel and scan through there, one page at a time, then use the multiple page PDF.

I'm not in front of the right computer at the moment, but when I am I'll tell you exactly which options to choose.

OK.

Start Epson Smart Panel, click "scan and save" & scan page with Epson Scan. When the page scan is complete, click close. This will bring up the "view image" screen. Click on the "scan more" icon on the bottom left of the screen & scan the next page. Repeat until you have scanned all the pages. Then on the "view image" screen click the big "next button. In the file format box, pick multi-page PDF.

HTH

With a full version of Adobe Acrobat (Professional or Standard), you can create a new document with the "File/Import/Scan" function. This will automatically open the scanner with your default software (I use SilverFast), scan the first page and return to the "Scan" dialog. You have the option of stopping or scanning another page. If you open an existing document and "Scan", you can open a new document, or add to the existing one. After scanning is complete, you can rearrange pages, rotate pages, create thumbnails and/or create an index - Acrobat is very powerful. You can also assemble previously scanned pages into a single document by importing them, as in your original premise.

<p>

I use Acrobat as much as Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign combined. PDF documents are the <i>lingua franca</i> for professional graphics and documents - everyone has (or can get for free) a reader for PDF documents. With version 7, the quality is high enough for presentation, proofing or printing.

PC Headland,

It worked great. You were correct. The Epson Scan program has Multi-Page Scan to PDF capability. I copied in the entire manual today. I will have to tweak it a little for misplaced pages (my fault) but she's good to go.

Many thanks to you and to all who contributed in this discussion.

Ted