scanning a film to merge shots

<p>Like the attached. How can I do it consistently? My Scanner did this by mistake, when I scanned a color film in B&W, when I scan it in color it does not do it. But it is not reliable. I think it is cool. I can do it digitally through photoshop but it's not the same.... </p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<div>00dqT0-561863784.jpg.5178ba44a55d9c2d15cbeec033793288.jpg</div>

<p>I suspect you can do this in Photoshop, or other editing systems, but I haven't tried it.</p>

<p>Scanners with film carriers will make it easy, if you load the film offset in the carrier.</p>

<p>Which scanner do you have?</p>

-- glen

<p>Can be done on a flatbed. I Epson software go into the options and turn off auto-thumbnailing, in Vuescan you're looking for settings in the Crop tab. On a film scanner it's often not possible, with only one frame in place to scan at a time. If you crop to the same dimensions, and scan with the same exposure (easier to make happen with Vuescan than manufacturer software) it should be easy enough to fake it later by putting both on a black background.</p>

<p>LesSarlie, thanks for this great suggestion. I did not do that, because with this format I lose so much resolution. So I guess when doing like this you scan at a very very high resolution (which? I have the same scanner).</p>

<p>Thanks </p>

<p>You can select, copy then paste images using photoshop. If you copy, then open a new file in Photoshop, it will open (optionally) the the size of the file in the clipboard. When you paste, it's always to a new layer. You can use Image/Canvas to increase the size of the background, then copy an past a new image. You can make the background any color you wish, including black. If you include the border when you scan, you can retain the rough edges when you copy and paste. You can use the arrow tool to move the image around it its layer. You can save the results as a PSD or TIFF with layers intact, or flatten it and save it as a JPEG (or any image file type).</p>

<p>I haven't deliberately overlapped frames, but have combined multiple film scans into HDR images and panoramas. You lose more to cropping than with digital images, but it's definitely doable. </p>

<p>You can also select the scanning area manually to include adjacent frames, and do it <em>au naturel</em>.</p>