Scammers are using weddingwire and the like now... watch out!

colleendonovan

<p>Just got this today and I know people on other forums have mentioned them using wedding wire as well. Just pay attention to the language, improper puncuation, etc. All scammers. This one came from weddingwire...<br>

cebliss mcclain found your business directly on the vendor catalog and would like to know more about your services. Please respond to this lead within 24 hours. Here is the lead's contact information: <br />Name: cebliss mcclain<br />Email: ceblissmcclain@yahoo.com<br />Phone: Not provided<br>

Wedding Date: Mar 18, 2011<br />Location: Not provided<br>

Message:<br />Hello,<br />My name is Cebliss Mcclain,i live in TONASKET WA .I am presently in Wimbledon,London (UK) but probably will be moving back home soon and i'll be getting married shortly after my arrival in the states to my fiance Chris Boyd. We will need a wedding/party Photographer to help us in making up our ceremony from the church to the hotel reception.We will like to find out what your plans are for Saturday, March 19th,2011. This is the date of our wedding so kindly let us know your availability for this day.We'll take responsibility for your expenses regarding our plans.we might not be able to meet you soon as planned,due to our unavailability in the states but,we are willing to retain the date, that's to make deposit for booking prior to our arrival to be sure we are interested in your service,if we really are.<br>

Waiting to get your response.<br>

Cebliss & Brood.<br>

~ Powered by DirectMatch ~</p>

<p>Funny - Chris got married last June in Buffalo MN.... I received an inquiry as to my availability to shoot his wedding there... Oh, wait.... </p>

<p>Scam all the way... so many clues it's not funny. I've never had a legit bride ask for help in "making up our ceremony" and a "wedding / party" photographer... </p>

<p>Maybe we should all sign up for something and use "Cebliss"'s e-mail... </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I got this one in 2008, and a slight variant last year, but in each case the girl's name was a more typical name like "Karen" or "Susan." The first one I answered out of curiosity, feeling wary, and it turned out that they wanted to send me a check for much more than my services cost. I was expected to deposit this check and then withdraw the excess funds in my account to pay a caterer that they had supposedly hired. Pretty sure he would have turned out to be a bad-ass looking Nigerian who would want to meet in a large parking lot far from surveillance cameras.</p>

<p>Hah, yes I just bumped into Cebliss and Brood, only this time it was in Aberdeen, CA and through WeddingWire. They even sent a check from Carnegie Library via FedEx (for way too much of course) and wanted me to send them $600 difference so they could "book the band". They then texted me continuously for the next few days while I wasted their time. I contacted the DA's office locally in Ventura.</p>

<p>oh my gosh.......I told my husband I thought this was a little weird, but here is what I got.<br>

Can someone please tell me what the actual scam is though? What are they trying to get from you? I actually cut and pasted this thread and sent it to "Carlyle Brood" this morning!</p>

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td valign="top"><br />Thanks for keeping in touch with us.Here is the services we will like you to render to us,we will want you to send us your price for just four hours with high quality images on 1CD and a parent album each because we will be sending some of the pictures to our relatives,we will also need high quality pictures for future references and i'm sure we could browse through your website for more prints in future after the wedding event.<br /> <br /> <br /> Also,we want you to know that we are having two locations for the wedding in the same area, that is from the church to the reception,as soon as we have the wedding locations we will have the full information sent to you for future reference.Get back to us here with the price for your service(four hours) so that we can have further discussions in calculation.The city where the wedding ceremony/reception is taking place is in ARLINGTON WA(USA) and the ceremony starts by 12pm.Best Regards<br /><br />Carlyle & Khary</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

• 1 month later...
<p>Well, the scam is that they send you a bogus check then feverishly text you (they can't get on the phone because they're foreign and not "Scottish") and want you to send them the difference in the mistaken amount they sent so they can "book a band" who is feverishly waiting for the booking fee. It's quite clever and had me all excited. I didn't even put two and two together until the FedEx check from Carnegie Mellon Library. But they blew it by including a nasty sheet of paper inside with no headings saying to go to some random Hotmail email. </p>