without firing the Master SB800. In order to do this I would need to

turn the mode of the Master to "---". So on the back of the SB800, it

would look like this:

M: ---

A: TTL 0.0

B: ---

C: ---

According to the manual, this prevents the Master from firing, but

the remote flash still fires. I did this, but both flashes fired.

What am I doing wrong?

The SB-800 communicates with the SB-600 using white light (not IR). It is easy to confuse this communication with the actual flash as they are milliseconds apart.

Take a picture and verify that the SB-800 is actually delivering flash light and not just communication light (which occurs prior to the shutter opening).

Actually the SB-800 uses both, infrared and visible light. To eliminate visible part use UV filter that comes with the new closeup kit, (something like it C1R1, or R1 kit has the filter), and that servers this purpose, and use it on the SB-800 that is a commander that you want to elimimate the visible preflash completely and shoot at proximity.

The SB-800 in your case fires not the main flash but the communication pre-flash, and that may affect pictures at close distances. Nikon manual explains this a bit, but not enough perhaps.

Actually that filter, that I called IR filter, is not really IR filter as we know. It actually allows IR light go through, while it blocks visible light, so it is kind of ? "anti IR filter ? - hope you get the drift.

Some people reported success in making that filter out of an overexposed 120 format negative film, and taping it over SB800 flash head. That may reduce the range, or not work at all ?

It is good to know that Nikon SU-800 commander serves that purpose much better, (range, reliability, not that picky on the line of sight or angle of coverage, does not produce visible light, etc...), than the SB-800 used as commander.

Thanks for your input. Your probably right about the preflash not contributing to exposure. I pressed the shutter and noticed that both units went off, I didn't think of the fact that the Master is just firing a preflash. I'll have to try it again, but this time take a picture that means something and I'll check out the exposure. I'm also thinking about getting the SU-800. I was thinking about mounting the SU-800 in the shoe mount, then using the SB800 in my flash bracket which is only a couple inches away. Does anyone know if this will cause a problem with the commander and flash being so close together?

"mounting the SU-800 in the shoe mount, then using the SB800 in my flash bracket which is only a couple inches away"

Yes, this works OK, and inside photos, you do not have to turn around the SB800 to face the sensor at SU-800 side. I have not tested outside yet.

The problem with SB-800 on Stroboframe is that SB-800 is on the right side, and if placed flash forward, the sensor on SB-800 does not see the SU-800 in straight line, so you would rotate the flash and head, BUT when you flip the bracket to Vertical position, that would be just quite opposite. None of that is required, as it works OK with SU-800 since the SU-800 can command the SB-800 at any position on the bracket.

Though you would get better effects if you mounted SB-800 far away from the camera.

Frank, I was a little confused by your post. Are you saying that I would or wouldn't be ok with mounting the SB800 on a Stroboframe while using the SU800? You say that I would need to rotate the flash and head when it is in the vertical position, but then you go on to say that none of that is required because they will work fine together. I'm a little confused.

It will work inside fairly big rooms, that is you do not have to rotate anything.

I need to test this in an open field, since the direct line of sight may be needed (?) SU-800 is much better as a commander on SB-800, so possibly it will work as well, within the 60 feet of range, as some IR bouncing is always possible off the subjects photographed.

It will work inside fairly big rooms, that is you do not have to rotate anything.

I need to test this in an open field, since the direct line of sight may be needed (?) SU-800 is much better as a commander on SB-800, so possibly it will work as well, within the 60 feet of range, as some IR bouncing is always possible off the subjects photographed.