SB800 future proof?

peter_k4

<p>This is potentially a silly, unanswerable question, but is there anything about the SB800 compared to the SB900 that indicates that it won't have full functionality with future bodies?</p>

<p>I currently use the SB600 and wouldn't mind a second flash I've found a good deal for a SB800 for $280 here in canada. I know it has an older harder to use interface. But as far as TTL and wireless capabilites, is there anything that the 900 has that the 800 does not that one could see being a standard flash feature in the future?</p>

<p>If there is a (SB700?) replacement for the 800 in the near future I'm sure I'll want it. But i'm also sure it will be around $399 plus tax. So I think this 800 is a pretty good deal right now.</p>

<p>Peter, I am afraid that nobody outside of Nikon can answer your question.</p>

<p>Let me give you an example. In 1988 Nikon introduced the F4 and N8008/F801. At that time all Nikon AF lenses (other than those 2 F3-AF lenses) used screwdriver AF. However, the F4 had the capability to drive (future) AF-S lenses built in while the N8008 didn't. At that time nobody outside of Nikon was aware of that difference and Nikon documentation did not mention this difference since those AF-S lenses didn't exist yet. It wasn't until 4 years later when Nikon introduced AF-I lenses (predecessors to the current AF-S) in 1992 that this difference became known to Nikon users.</p>

<p>So if there are any such hidden features in the SB-900, I am afraid that nobody in this forum can answer.</p>

<p>Having said that, if I were you and can use an SB-800, I would just get it. It doesn't help to worry about things you have no control over.</p>

<p>Nothing is future proof is you look far enough into the future. The SB800 is a nice flash and if you can use it, that's a good price. Last time I looked, a couple of months ago, the SB800 was going for more than the SB900 because people were worried about the thermal cutout of the SB900 and the SB800 didn't complain about such things.</p>

<p>In addition to Shun's excellent answer it might be worth mentioning that the SB-900 has end-user upgradable firmware. This means new features can be added later on if Nikon decides to include such in future firmware releases.</p>

<p>Having said that, I choose the SB-800 over the SB-900 not too long ago. The lower price aside, I also prefered the smaller size and the higher output of the SB-800. That the wireless requires a few extra button pushes is really not an issue for me. The wireless features and the ability to let others use the full point and shoot compatility of th eSB-800 with my DSLR were the reasons why I replaced my veteran Speedlight.</p>

<p>Untill earlier this year I used an "ancient" SB-25 with my DSLR and got excellent results. Since I got my modern DSLR to work so nicely with my flash designed back in 1991 I did not worry about the future compatability of the current Speedlight range.</p>

<p>It seems to me that the reason to buy an SB800 is not future compatibility but backwards compatibility. If I wanted to increase my peace of mind about future compatibility, I'd go with the SB900. However, given the scalpers' prices prevailing these days for SB800 units in good condition, $280 might be an almost failure-proof purchase...</p>

<p>The SB-900 was introduced in July 2008 along with the D700. Didn't Best Buy have a SB-800 "close out sale" in the fall last year. I believe that they were selling it for around $150 or so (or was it $180?).</p>

<p>Apparently the SB-900 is not that well received and that is why the SB-800 is so popular after it is now discontinued. There can't be all that many people still using D-TTL DSLRs so that incompatibility with those shouldn't be an issue. Perhaps the large size for the SB-900 is the main issue.</p>

• 2 weeks later...