SB600

sveecee

Hi guy's driving myself mad trying to synchronise a SB600 to my Nikon D70. The instruction book is a little less than helpful.

The flash mode in no 19 of the CSM does not light up so you can not alter it, and I can not work out the settings anyway...

I have set No 14 (command dial) to on...Would appreciate any help to fix this.

Quick and possibly stupid question-

Does the built in flash on your D70 work? It's not an uncommon failure point on these models and can usually be fixed if you want to tackle it yourself.

Commander mode, however, DOES NOT work if your built-in flash doesn't function.

Yes Ben, everything is as normal, its me that cant fathom out the settings...Vic

Stupid question - is the mode dial on your D70 set to P, S, A or M? I believe those are the only ones that would allow syncing an SB600. It won't work with the mode dial set to one of the so-called vari-programs (auto, portrait, landscape, etc...)

Good luck!

I'm holding a D70 in my hands as I type this, although I don't have an SB600 with me(I'm at work).

CFn 19 is grayed out and goes back to TTL in the other modes(I call them idiot modes, but I probably should use a different term). I don't think that's the OP's problem.

The menus don't say, but I seem to recall that the D70 only works on Channel 3, so the SB600 must also be set to this channel.

I can say with absolute certainty that I have done exactly what the OP is trying to do before, so I know it can work. I'll try to play with it this evening and see exactly what I did.