SB600 Compatibility

debbikoplen

Right, Nikon's current flash technology is called iTTL, first introduced back in 2003 along with the D2H. The SB-600 is iTTL compatible and so is the D70 body (2004).

Your film SLRs are pre-2003 and the SB-600 is backward compatible with both, but you won't get iTTL because those cameras are not capable of it.

The only film body that is iTTL compatbile is the F6.

It works well with all 3 cameras. In addition, you should check out the ability of the D70 to

remotely fire your new SB600, I demonstrated than in a Photo workshop this week, and all of

the Canon shooters were jealous as heck! Attached is an impromptu shot I did of some

students using only the SB600 as an off camera light source.

I can get TTL flash with the SB600 and FE2. The little LED even lights in the old FE2's

viewfinder to tell me when it's charged and fired! Cool that Nikon made it compatible with the

old bodies. Have fun.<div>00LSKJ-36910084.jpg.c1f0bbcd80412d333176d8c69c7738ca.jpg</div>

Thank you for all the great responses. It's more fun posting here than using that boring manual. Russ, love that Sopranos shot!! I would like to re-phrase my question. I would like to know what features I will NOT get using the SB-600 on the old film bodies vs. the D70. My objective is to sell my SB-24 if the SB-600 can fully replace it.

Bruce has a good point. However I think you could sell the SB24, since all of the cameras you have will do TTL with the SB600. And TTL works far better than Auto. The only one I'm not sure about is your FM3a. I thinks it's sort of a hybrid between the FM2 and FE2. My FM2 has nothing but manual flash control. But the electronic FE2 works fine with the SB600 in TTL. I believe your FM3 has TTL capability, but double check by shooting a test roll with the SB600.

Glad you liked the Sopranos shot. The guy on the left is even a real Italian!

• 1 year later...