SB600 / 800 Flash Diffuser

capocheny

Greetings all,

When you purchase a Nikon SB800 it comes with a flash diffusion unit.

Does anyone here know whether such a diffusion unit is available for the Nikon SB600 unit? If so... what

is the product code (and cost) for it?

Would the SB800 diffusion unit fit the SB600?

Thanks in advance for any information provided! :)

Cheers

"Would the SB800 diffusion unit fit the SB600?"

Dunno. I would go try that out physically at the nearest camera store.

Meanwhile you might want to try a D-I-Y bounce reflector', though. It's very cheap, and

easy and quick to make. And you may find you don't need an official (read: expensive!)

Nikon diffuser at all...

How-to and templates here: http://super.nova.org/DPR/DIY01/

I do not have SB-600 so you test it.

The Dome diffuser that comes with SB-800 presses little micro switch on the SB-800 body, and that is how SB-800 knows the diffuser is installed. This information is used mainly in the auto zoom feature.

If you use any off-brand diffuser that does not use the switch on SB-800, then it will defuse the light OK, but other "smarter" functions of the SB-800 may not work properly, or not being able to fully utilize the flash capabilities.

Cannot tell if SB-600 has the switch and if it cares about a difuser ?

I have a set of Sto-Fens diffusers (white, amber and green) for the Nikon SB-800. They have two positions - one activates the microswitch, the other does not. The principal effect of the switch is to run the flash zoom to wide-angle (14mm), giving better coverage. The Nikon or Sto-Fens are very effective, and much more sturdy, compact and convenient than the various Rube-Goldberg bounce attachments.

You can make a very useful diffuser for less than a dollar.

Buy a bottle of isopropyl alcohol in a translucent white plastic container. Get the clear alcohol not the green, which contains oil.

Empty the bottle. Peel off the label. Carefully trim off the top end near the pour spout.

If you cut it at approximately the right spot it'll fit most flash heads, some a bit loosely, some will be a bit more snug.

Slip it over the flash head and secure with tape. I like the high quality blue masking tape used by painters. It's commonly available now almost everywhere, even those dollar stores. I always keep some in my camera bag. What makes this tape so good is that is resists becoming gummy much longer and is far less likely to leave behind any residue. In fact, I've left strips attached to tripod legs and flash units for two years without problem. The tape was a bit less adhesive when removed, but it left no gummy residue. It's relatively safe to use for many purposes - for example, it's unlikely to pull wallpaper or paint from a wall or damage delicate finishes on fine furniture *if* it's absolutely necessary to use the tape that way. (I'd avoid it, if possible.)

Keep in mind that this improvised diffuser will not activate any microswitches on complex flash units like the SB-800.