SB24 Power Supply Question

steve_levine

Not familiar with that battery but I assume it is for use with Metz flashes only. If that is correct I wouldn't assume that it would be easy or even possible to adapt it to run a Nikon flash unless it utilizes a cord with an adapter that replaces 4 AA batteries in the same configuration as Nikon. If it is a high voltage battery supply the voltages must be compatable as must a suitable connecting cord which would not be available.

Well, Hal, the batteries are hooked in series for the flash. This would be 1.5 X 4 or 6 Volts.

Don't know if the Metz Dry fit (CT 60 battery pack?) is 6 volts. Need to watch amps too. Volts is sort of like volume and amps is sort of like pressure... but you know this, right?

You are correct tho.. it has to be a match. Therein lies the question. Does the Metz Dry fit MATCH? I do not know, and why I did not answer this post.

Cords can be made up. Paramount Sync cords will make anything it seems... (www.pccords.com)

Well, I went to the Metz website and I see no mention of the Dryfit battery being used with anything other than their flashes. I think we can assume then that this is a dedicated battery pack and was not designed to work with a Nikon. <p>

Now lets look at the Nikon flashes to see how they are or can be powered: <br>

They are powered by 4 AA batteries arranged (physically) in line side by side and wired in series providing 6 volts to the flash. There is also a high voltage connector on the front of the flash. This connector parallels the internal high voltage supply. <p>

Now lets look at how other manufacturers have made external battery packs for the Nikons:<br>

The Quantum Battery 1 is an example of a battey pack that substitutes for the internal batteries. It is a 6 volt battery pack that connects to the flash by substituting an adapter for the 4 AA's. You remove the batteries and insert the adapter into the battery compartment. The adapter is the exact same size as the 4 AA's when they are in the compartment. A cord then connects the adapter to a connector on the battery pack.<p>

The Quantum Turbo Z is an example of a high voltage battery pack. It provides a high voltage (300-450 volts) to the high voltage connector on the front of the flash. Since this is in parallel with the internal high voltage supply, it provides additional current directly to the flashtube circuitry. When a high voltage battery pack is used the 4 AA still need to be installed in the flash to power the rest of the circuitry.<p>

Now, to figure out if the Metz Dryfit can be adapted to power a Nikon flash you need to find out what of the above two types it is. <br>

Does it provide 6 volts? If so how does it connect to a Metz flash. Is there a battery adapter, will it fit the Nikon or could you maybe get a Quantum adapter/cable for Nikon and cut the connector off and replace it with one for the Dryfit?<br>

If it is a high voltage pack it can be risky. Again you could get a Quantum cord and adapt it to connect to the Dryfit but I would be leery of voltage and current incompatibilities.<p>

Now, I'll leave it up to you to decide if you want to persue this further.<p>

<i>Paramount Sync cords will make anything it seems... </i><p>

Anything as long as it's a <i>sync cord...</i>