If noting else works you can press and hold the Mode and On/Off

buttons simultaneously for about 2~3 second to rest the SB-800 to

the factory defaults.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

Errol, what is < xM mode >?

<I have to use it manually.> What is < it >? The zoom feature or the flash in <M> as in Manual mode?

<I went to the setup menu and turned zoom on and still it is unchanged.> Is that to say when you push the left (three trees for wide angle) and right (one tree for tele) sides of the Multi-Selector button the zoom feature is unresponsive?

As for the zoom head feature, I'll take a stab w/ the obvious so ensure...1) good batteries, 2) flash not attached to camera, 3) the REMOVABLE wide angle diffuser is not attached (if attached, head stays at 14mm), 4) the PULL-OUT diffuser is fully retracted / pushed into the head (if pulled out even a tad, Multi-Selector will allow either 14mm or 17mm)...any more than that and we'll need to know exactly what the problem / body / lens combo is.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 years later...

Just posting in case anyone else ends up here:

I just bought one and had a similar problem: SB-800 was stuck on 14/17mm as it's second hand and in fairly bad shape, I noticed the defuser wasn't even attached any more. Putting a carefully crafted piece of cardboard down the slit above the flash flicked the switch at the back, allowing me to change it.

Just posting in case anyone else ends up here:

I just bought one and had a similar problem: SB-800 was stuck on 14/17mm as it's second hand and in fairly bad shape, I noticed the defuser wasn't even attached any more. Putting a carefully crafted piece of cardboard down the slit above the flash flicked the switch at the back, allowing me to change it.

- No need for a piece of cardboard. The SB800 has a menu option to allow the head to be zoomed if the diffuser is broken off. It's all in the manual.