SB-600 for macro?

derek_thornton1

Ben's talking about what I was thinking about, D.F. The question was whether or not you have a camera body that's capable of commanding the SB600 as a remote slave. That would allow you to use the strobe from a position (bounced off a reflector? from an easier working distance?) giving you some more control.

I am sorry forgot to mention that. What I have is the D200 & D300 bodies with a 105mm as primary macro but also use a 70-200mm w/wo 500D and a 300mm f/4 w/wo tubes. I know a 70-200mm f/2.8 is not a macro but it does very well on dragons/butters. All the dragons in my folders were taken with 70-200mm. However, as stated, 105mm would be used most with flash.
derek-thornton.artistwebsites.com

You can put on a large difuser like the "LumiQuest Ultrasoft Pocket Bouncer" on the flash. This will expand the light source and help remove the shadow which a 100mm macro lens may cast at higher magnification (closer working distant). Do note that the lighting will have the look of a large light source from above. It differ from the look of ring light and dual macro light.

The SB600 works well for macro, particularly when used with a Lumiquest reflector as suggested by Tommy Lee. I use and would recommend their Ultrasoft reflector. For outdoor, nature-type subjects, I find it's usually best to underexpose the flash so that it's just providing a little fill-in and not dominating the exposure. I use this equipment for most of my macro work. You can see a few examples on my web site if you're interested.

Kind regards

Malcolm

Sometimes I take a piece of typing paper and fold the bottom up about 3 inches for the base of the homemade diffusser. I use a pony tail holder to hold it on the flash. The paper just wraps around the flash with a little creative folding. Then point the flash straight up and shoot. It will diffuse the light very well. Also good for other flash situations. So the thing is the light goes up but also forward through the typing paper which can be a single or double thickness. Being white it does not add odd colors. It gives you an even diffused light. The top can be folded to be closed or open. The top can be folder to project light forward.