Saving photos

peter_shapiro

I am not digital yet, but all my digital friends travel with laptops. If you're not traveling with a computer, I suppose you could upload to your Yahoo briefcase providing you can find a computer with a USB connection to plug into. The problem with this is the limits on the total storage space provided. If it was me, since I have a web site, I can upload images to my server through an FTP program.

Digital photographers may be able to give you better solutions.

If you don't already have a laptop, or don't want to carry one with you, have a look at the various smaller portable storage solutions. I have the <a href="http://archos.com/products/prw_500375_specs.html">Archos Multimedia Jukebox</a> and it works pretty good. It's a little more fragile than I'd like, but I haven't broken it, yet. :)

<p>

Going to the Archos site for the link, I see they have some new products that look really nice. I like <a href="http://archos.com/products/prw_500542_specs.html">this one</a> in particular.

<p>

Another thing to consider is where you are traveling. If you're going to be in more developed countries, they may have something along the lines of Wal-Mart where you can take your photos in and have them put on a CD. If you mention the country, possibly someone from there will pipe up with an answer?

With digital memory cards becomeing cheaper all the time, sometimes it's just a better option to buy more memory.

I got a 128Mb card for $50 amonth ago. With this and the 64Mb card my camera had, and given that I only keep good photos, I can go on a 3-week trip without the need to unload photos to the internet or a CD.

With a web hosting account costing about $25 (for 150-200Mb web space) and a CD burning service costing about $30, spending somewhere between $50 and $100 for a memory card that is resuable across trips sounds like a good investment.

The best and cheapest solution is to find an internet cafe that lets you burn CDs yourself on a CDwriter. The time to do this would cost you about $5 and the CD itself costs less than 50 cents. But if you're travelling outside Europe you will not find many internet cafes offering a PC with a CD writer.

The Archos multimedia jukebox and other similar products are also a good idea - but USB 2.0 can be a bit tricky because older PCs found in many internet cafes of the world mayh have older USB ports. In 1-2 years this will not be a problem, but then Archos will be making USB 3.0 or 4.0 ports!