Saving for Web - sizes

Hi there -

I am putting a site up, and I am noticing that images I have - all colour, and all saved for web at 640x640

pixels, are varying in size from the smallest at just over 100KB to the largest at over 600KB.

Now for speed of use, I want the smallest files I can get away with - can anyone tell me why some files

save at 109 KB ad some at 600 KB ?

What can I do to make them all so small ?

Thanks so much

Robert

Presuming you've maintained the same degree of compression when saving all of them, the difference would be due to the complexity of the images. Images with, say, a large white background have large swaths of identical pixels... and that information can be highly compressed. A complex image (say, a close-up of detailed natural surfaces like tree bark or hair, or other textures) can't be reduced to as small a file without losing detail. And that's the challenge: if you want small files, you have to be willing to lose detail, or opt for smaller output.

Hi Vrindavan, Matt's right - the more detail in an image, the larger it'll be. You may be able to apply a slight gaussian blur to selective parts of a jpeg (out-of-focus areas, sky, things that won't be noticeable) that can help get the file size down a little more. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Usually when I put multiple images on the web I decide how much space I want all images to take. And then I just bulk convert them with different quality/compression ration until I reach desired size. You shouldn't try to make all of them the same size you should try to make total size to be what you want.