Savage backgrounds

jim mucklin

I looking to shoot some single head shots with a 85mm and was wondering about paper width and filling the frame

without having to carry a 102 inch roll on location. I noticed that B&h had 31" and 53". It seems I should be right in

the middle. Could anyone recomend a width that they use or and background panels that they use just for this.

Thanks

Jim,

You should be able to shoot headshots on the 53" size rolls as long as your background is not too far behind the subject. I prefer to use the 107" whenever possible as it allows me to work with greater distance between subject and background. With narrower backgrounds and the necessary closer background placement, you must be far more precise with subject placement, careful about shadows, and more clever if you want to use separate lighting for the background. But, getting 107" into buildings and up elevators, though usually not terribly difficult, can be inconvenient. Are you using your 85mm on a film or full-frame camera, or is that on a reduced-size sensor? Were you planning on lighting the background separately, or not? If you not lighting your background separately and place the 53" about 3 or 4 feet behind the subject, you should be able to knock out a good, tight headshot. If you bring your lights down too low, you stand a chance of creating noticeable shadows on the seamless, so you have to be more careful with light placement. I've only used Savage seamless paper, not their new patterned panels. I would not select the 31" width, it's just too tight.

I use 53" all the time for headshots with an 85mm lens on my Nikon D2x. Works fine. I put the background about 6 feet

behind my subject and throw a grid spot on it. But as Barry mentioned, part of it is using a camera with a less than full

frame sensor. If you're using a full frame chip it may be too small.

Rich Quindry

www.Quindry.com