Sanity check: lightweight universal Nikon body

Andrew Garrard

Hi all. I'm the happy owner of an F5 and a D700, with a selection of lenses from AI to G.<br>

<br>

I'd quite like to pick up a more lightweight body to use as a walkaround device, when I want to trade the

performance of the F5 and D700 for less weight, preserving as much compatibility as possible. Especially, some

form of metering with AI lenses, autofocus with both AF and AF-S lenses, aperture control on G lenses. I lean

towards film, but I'm not ruling out a digital solution.<br>

<br>

Nikon doesn't appear to have made anything <i>light</i> that will do this. The F6 and F100 work everything, but

are still quite hefty. Likewise the D200/D300/D300x (and, I suspect, Fuji DSLRs), but obviously with a cropped

FoV. These aren't enough lighter than my F5 (at least with lithiium batteries) or D700 to justify buying one; I'm

looking for something in the weight category of the F75 or Eos 500 (or, upper limit, D40).<br>

<br>

My options seem to be:<br>

F75 + an external meter for AI lenses.<br>

F70, but lose VR and aperture control on G lenses.<br>

D70 + an external meter for AI lenses. (Heavier than I'd like, cropped sensor, although the 1/500 flash sync and

IR sensitivity appeal to me).<br>

Put a novoflex adaptor on the Eos 500 I already own, and give up on autofocus.<br>

<br>

My understanding is that third-party F-mount bodies like the Phenix probably won't allow G aperture control - but

I've not heard anything recent about third party bodies for a while.<br>

<br>

I think I fall into a hole in Nikon's historical product line-up; it seems to have been assumed that a premium

feature such a wide lens compatibility must be paired with a body you can use as a hammer.<br>

<br>

Is there an option that I'm missing?

<p>N8008 and N90, N90s are options. Smaller and lighter then the F100. I use the N80 which is very light but no manual focus lens option. With the power winder on it you have a nice ergonomic lightweight camera and it only takes AA rechargeables. Sometimes when you talking about spending a very small amount of money you could consider that maybe every possible feature may be negotiable. For instance a Nikon FG is very light and uses AIS lenses. Inexpensive and has ttl flash available. It's a perfect little camera for a hundred bucks. You can even have it serviced at Garrys camera for $40.00+$8.00 shipping. Good luck. I went with the N80 because I wanted a light camera for hiking and cycling and I wanted a low replacement value.</p>

<p>You might also consider the F80/N80 and the D80. I was just reading through Simon Stafford's Nikon Compendium and sadly, none of the small, lightweight Nikon AF cameras support metering with all lenses, so you are still stuck with an external meter. The lightest all-around solution is an F100, which you have ruled out. A shame, really, as I thought the N80 was an otherwise perfect camera for this niche.</p>

<p>I think some compromises have to be made with a thing like this. Assuming you have a few good walk-around lenses, my top picks would be an FM-2n, FE-2, or D5000. Each has its limitations, but with the right lens(es) would make excellent walk-around cameras.</p>

Thanks, everyone. The F90 seems to be roughly the same weight as the F100, not much shy of the D700. I'd not really registered that the F80 and N8080/F-801 are as light as they are, but they're still significantly over the weight of the F75. The F80, sadly, gives more features but no more comptaibility for the weight (if I'm wanting more flexibility I'll take the hit and carry one of the bigger bodies); the N8080 works with my old lenses but cripples the new ones. Sadly, I think - for me - the F75 still looks like the best I can do. Unfortunately the FE and FM series, I believe, don't work at all with G lenses (or at least, always use the smallest aperture).<br>

<br>

Ross - as you say, when spending a small amount of money, I expect features to be negotiable. Unfortunately, Nikon don't seem to have made any premium lightweight cameras! (Not that I'm intending to spend a fortune, but these days all Nikon film SLRs, with the exceptions of collectables and the F6, are cheap.) If only there was a carbon fibre version of the F100...<br>

<br>

It looks as though the consensus is that I've not missed an obvious camera that will work with all the historical lens options. In which case, I'll go forth and pick a compromise. So far I've been using my Eos 500 as a walkaround (or a Bessa if I value thinness over weight), but since I'm now a Nikon devotee it seemed wasteful to try to maintain a useful lens collection on three systems in parallel. A shame that Nikon's long lens mount history doesn't seem to help me in this case, but I'll resist the temptation to switch to Leica.<br>

<br>

Thanks again for your assistance.

<p>Hi Andrew,</p>

<p>I shoot mostly with D700 and I met the same problem like you - I found not at hand to take my main camera in vacations, trips and for street photography, because it is intimidating others.</p>

<p>From this reason last year I decided to buy a Nikon D5000 and I am very happy with it by now. It's performance is very good if you can accept the lack of a focusing motor and of some external dedicated controls.</p>

<p>One thing you have to know, on D5000 you can mount probably every lens Nikon ever produced, even the pre-AIs... without any damage and they will work. (Thom Hogan says that all of them... others are saying that most of them... I'm not an expert in very old Nikkors so I can't say who's right. Maybe Bjorn R. could help with this...) Of course they will not meter if are not modified with a CPU... but for me that's OK. </p>

<p>Another BIG advantage of D5000 for someone doing manual focus is the positionable display. While doing AF on Live View is a big pain, the manual focus on Live View is a pleasure on this wonderful little camera. I have the three chipped lenses from Voigtlander (Cosina) 20mm, 40mm and 58mm and I am delighted to use them on D5000. </p>

<p>My advice for you is to rent a D5000 for a couple of days and start to play with it... You may find that it is enough small, enough performant and enough inexpensive to go for it. I dream too that Nikon will bring a little camera on the market compatible with all lenses, at a reduced size, but until then I'm happy with D5000. </p>

<p>The F80/N80 film bodies should be around the same size as a D70/D80/D90 but won't meter with manual lens. The F801/N8008 and F/N90s bodies are wider bodies with a fatter hand grip than the D70/D80/D90 but will meter with older manual lenses and have some kind of compatibilty with G lenses. I think Program and Shutter priority mode works with G lenses. My F801 body is not that heavy to be honest.</p>

Starvy: Don't think I'm not tempted by a GF-1, but they're still a bit expensive at the moment. My other half will kill me if I switch systems again, having jumped from Canon when I got my D700. Perhaps in a couple of years. It'd be a bit of a waste of all my autofocus lenses (and 3/4 of the image circle), though. It's an appealing option for Leica lenses, though.<br>

<br>

Mihai - google "micro 4:3 adaptor". Voigtlander and Novoflex both make them; the Novoflex ones allow aperture control of G lenses. The adaptors contain no optics, so the image quality will be determined entirely by the resolution of the lens and the ability of the sensor to accept light at the angle it leaves the lens (unlikely to be a problem if it's okay on a Nikon DSLR). I suspect that lenses that are okay on a D300 would work well; the change of resolution is only roughly 1.5x. The adaptors don't autofocus - although I imagine that someone could make something in the style of the TC-16A autofocussing teleconverter if there was enough demand.<br>

<br>

As for the D5000, it's a potential alternative to the D40, although the faster flash sync of the D40 and the slightly lighter weight mean a used D40 might tempt me more. Your point about live view is a good one, though. Unfortunately, no meter <i>and</i> no autofocus makes it a bit of a desparate option, especially since my lens collection was chosen on the basis of full frame use.<br>

<br>

For clarification on the all/some AI lens issue, no digital Nikon will take the very old-style Nikkor fish-eyes which stick into the mirror chamber (physically, because they don't have permanent mirror lock-up; optically, because the light would be hitting the sensor obliquely). Should I ever get my hands on a 6mm f/5.6, I'll live with using the F5. My lens collection isn't <i>that</i> obscure.<br>

<p>Josh and Ramon - since portability is my main interest, I'm still of the opinion that the N80 isn't worth an extra 150g over the N75, that supports all the same lenses. It's interesting to see it suggested so often, though.<br /> <br /> Stuart: The F801 is an interesting alternative, but I think the lack of AF-S autofocus in addition to losing aperture priority on G lenses would make me think carefully. I'm not sure there's a compelling reason to pick up an F90 over an F100, and both are a bit heavy for me. Good to have the options compared, though.<br /> <br /> Mark: Finances permitting, I might agree - although at least an Nikon DSLRs would autofocus <em>some</em> of the lenses. The argument against a film SLR is less convincing: the F75 weighs roughly the same as a GF-1, and I'd not need to buy more wide-angle lenses. Both my existing cameras are very heavy - the D700 is around 1kg, the F5 more - so even a D40 would halve the weight. The size benefit of the GF-1 is less significant once I've stuck a Nikkor on the front, although I admit I kind of wish the 45mm f/2.8 pancake was a bit cheaper.<br /> <br /> Thanks for your feedback, everyone.</p>

<p>The N75/F75 is the lightest thing with its feature set. Kind of amazing when you think about it - a D40 weight more and they can't get one motor in there, an F75 weighs less and has two motors.It does support everything except metering with manual lenses (and no pre-AI lenses) so it's probably your best bet.</p>

<p>The FE was a good guess but it doesn't support aperture on G lenses.</p>

<p>The F100 is nearly a pound less than the F5, for what it's worth, it does meter with everything and it's better than the F75 for manual focusing because the F75 has a pretty small finder and it's not the good prism type.</p>

<p>Thanks, Andrew. I might see if I can compare an F100 and F75 in person - I suspect that most of the time I'd be prepared to lug an F100, I'd take one of my existing bodies, but I guess I won't know until I try. Lenses aren't weightless either, of course, so even my best option will depend on what I'm carrying around. You make a good point about manual focus and the viewfinder difference - less the pentaprism (my SLR experience started with a Canon 300D, so I'm not spoilt), especially since the prism is a significant part of the weight, but I also notice that the F75 has the consumer style focus confirmation, whereas the F100's is the pro style from the F5 and D700. That may or may not bother me...<br>

Thanks again, everyone.</p>

<p>The other "goodness" to consider is how similar are the user interfaces to the F5 and D700 you already own? The N80 and F100 (I have one of each) are virtually identical to my D200 (and I suspect to your cameras.)<br>

The FE2 and its brethren are obviously different from the modern cameras, but they're so simple that it won't matter. I'm able to use them with no confusion. The N70's user interface is a bit unique and I found it just gets in the way. Switching back and forth between your F5 and D700 and the N70 would be awkward. I don't know about the N75...never even held one.<br>

For what it's worth, my arsenal includes a D200, F100, N80, FM2, FM, FE2, and FA. I've stopped buying G or DX lenses because they're too limiting...I want to be able to use all lenses on all cameras.<br>

My advice is the <strong>N80 and give up on metering with AI lenses</strong>. That's how I use mine...when I want AF but don't feel like lugging a lot of weight. Another reason to carry it is that with a cheap 50 mm f/1.8 AF lens, it's almost expendable. If I drop it in the surf or get sand in it or it gets banged up, it's easy to replace. My D200 and 18-200 mm zoo...not so much.</p>

<p>I have both an N80 and an N75. The N75 is lighter but the N80 is better built. If you are considering a D40 you should also consider a D40x and D60. They all weigh around the same, but the D60 has some nice features the D40 and D40x lack. My walkaround kit is a D90 and 18-200 VR or a D60 and Tamron 18-200. The later combination is 10 oz. lighter than the former.</p>