Sandisk Extreme Pro Breaking in a D7000.

djolk

<p>Just curious if this has happened to anyone else. I have a d7000 with 2 Sandisk Extreme Pro 16gb memory cards and they're both broken. The card still works but the plastic case is cracking and separating and little pieces keep crumbling off. I could probably peel them in half at this point. It seems weird. They were expensive when I bought them, and they haven't been used that much. I am planning on replacing them, which isn't a big deal, just curious if this had happened to anyone else - with this camera or others. I suppose the other place they go is the card reader in my laptop!</p>

<p>Daniel: Two points: " little pieces keep crumbling off." .... I would stop using them immediately. Then the second ... from where are these cards sourced? These little things are possibly the most ripped-off, skimmed-off, 'extras' out there. Dump both. Get new from a source you trust.</p>

<p>I purchased locally. I was looking at purchasing others and noted that they were rated for 90mb/s (the cards online) which doesn't mean that much in real life, however the cards I have that are breaking are only rated to 45mb/s. Maybe rated is the wrong wording, but they are both identical aside from different speed ratings, maybe they're bad cards?</p>

<p>I am afraid that SD memory cards are inherently fragile; they are just too small and the plastic casing is just too thin. I have cracked 2, 3 of them (and keep in mind that I never really used SD until I got my D7000 in late 2010, plus a bit in 2009 when I tested the D300S). The ones I damaged are all genuine SanDisk cards.</p>

<p>It takes some practice to insert SD cards without putting angular force on them. The goods news is that they're so cheap, and capacities go up so quickly, that it's not much of a concern. I would stop, immediately, using any card with a visible flaw or failure. That's just asking for an expensive problem you can solve with a new card for $30.</p>

<p>Those sound like counterfeit cards. My SanDisk SD cards feel significantly sturdier than my Transcend SD cards. I can actually feel the Transcend cases flexing without much pressure. If I felt that in a SanDisk card I'd assume it was a counterfeit.</p>

<p>The only device I have that needs extra careful handling is my Lenovo laptop's media card slot. The spring lock is way too stiff and needs a lot of force to insert, so I have to be very cautious to align the cards correctly.</p>

<p>I've seen an SD card jam in the slot and prevent the camera working. The camera had to be disassembled and if you rely on someone else to do it, labour is expensive. Most SD cards now are obviously in two thin plastic halves with vulnerable plastic tabs around the contacts. Some in the past have been entirely flat and robust without the plastic tabs but I have not seen any recently. There's nothing magically 'robust' about a particular brand now, no matter how much people want to believe it. Compact Flash was the pro medium because it had more data channels and was physically more robust.</p>