San Diego zoo

victor_ho2

I'll be at a meeting next week. I've a free day in San Diego and thought I would

try to see what's up at the zoo. Online I see two parks the Zoo and the Wild

Life Park each with a separate admission price. What are the differences and are

there any preferences if you only have time for one day and one park? Which

exhibits are a must see? It looks like a lot of park to cover in one day. I've

been to the Bronx Zoo in NYC and seen what's there. The most outstanding shots I

got there were the gorillas.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Do a search on this forum for San Diego--I know others have asked similar questions on what to do for a day (including myself). I wound up having a great day there in Balboa Park visiting the zoo, the photography museum, a couple of the other museums and walking around the Park enjoying the mission architecture. The old town area was nice to walk around too, with plenty of Deco buildings in various states of repair. Never made it to the shore which I would do on my next 'day off' when travelling there on business. This is a beautiful time of year to visit. Have fun.<div>00MXxU-38494784.JPG.5bd14ef199dedda51e8745b84e617f1e.JPG</div>

The San Diego zoo proper is in Balboa Park which is close to downtown. It's the classic zoo. The Wild Animal Park is north of the city (I can't remember exactly how far; maybe 20 miles)in a rural area. The animals aren't in the classical zoo enclosures. Instead, they're allowed to roam free in very large fenced areas. Since the distances are so large, you don't walk around to see the animals, you go on an electric train around through the animal enclosures.

The Wild Animal Park is great, but I'd recommend seeing the Zoo. It's beautiful and there's also other museums and buildings in Balboa Park that are very photogenic.

Rob

Victor, the zoo is pretty neat and well worth the admission. If you are there on a weekday, the crowds should be fairly small. Longest line is for the pandas but the line moves quickly. Everything else is pretty much open. You might check out feeding times for some of the animals. Quite a few photogs walking around with long lenses and monopods.

I spent most of the day there, then headed to Coronado for sunset. Very pretty place.

I got to Balboa Park by about 9:30a.m. and had tons of time to go to everything I wanted to see and spent hours fiddling with my then new D80 at the zoo exhibits. You can easily cover it all. I walked from the aerospace museum where the taxi dropped me off, through the park to the zoo stopping at attractions along the way. I was slightly frustrated at times by my 28-70mm lens at the zoo and wish I'd had my 18-200mm...telephotos are especially good at zoos.

I haven't been to the zoo real recently but they have been trying to open up more of the older sections and the visibility to many of the primate exhibits is improved quite a bit but still some mesh or windows to deal with. I'd suggest taking the bus tour on arrival to get a feel for the layout of the whole zoo. Check the map for the walkways down and the moving ramps back up. The zoo is on a series of mesas and canyons so you'kll want to plan your walking carefully.

Besides the pandas, you may want to catch the koalas, they, I believe, aren't in too many other zoos in the US.

The Wild Animal Park is definitely a different proposition. The new tram isn't as long a ride as the old electrical tram (it finally just became to expensive and worn out) but it runs closer and lower through some of the exhibits. Some of the animals, especially some of the rarest rhinos are critically endangered, and this may be one of those true "kast chances" to see them. But, depending on the weather and animal moods, they may be quite a ways away from the walking areas or quite close, giraffes near feeding stations especially close. A lot of walking may be needed here too! There are some "photo caravans" that take you out into the enclosures in a stake truck so rhinos and some of the others come right up to the truck or they can find better or closer spots.