Samyang 24mm Cine for DSLR still and video

t._zenjitsuman

<p>Just want to see if anyone is using the Cine type lenses for both still and DSLR video.<br>

This Samyang is rated at T1.5, has clickless aperture, and has a geared focus for smoother<br>

more precise focus. Not AF, I don't know if it even is chipped for Exposure control like a P type Nikkor.<br>

So if its not a P type then is it an AI or AIS, I don't find this in the literature. I guess if you have a Nikon<br>

body that lets you program the lens as manual you will get focus confirmation and metering info that you<br>

will have to transfer to the lens, which has a stepless aperture ring, marked but not detentes. <br>

Here is a video that demonstrates the lens and how it performs on a FF DSLR<br>

<a href="

If you have the time please view this and let me know what you think of this lens for a dual purpose lens.<br>

Also, in the video, there was a new technical term for me "follow focus adapter", can anyone explain <br>

if on a Nikon F mount if there are any available for Nikon DSLR's , how they work, and if you do or<br>

don't need them for following say birds flying with a manual focus lens.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The term "follow focus" as in "follow focus adapter" refers to the use of a geared focus ring which has a standard gear mesh designed to fit with a number of aids for "pulling" focus during motion picture shooting. In the motion picture business, the business of moving the focus during a scene is often performed by another person, called a "focus puller," or by a motor drive.</p>

<p>Often, changing in focus during the course of a shot is preplanned. Depending upon the rig, you can preset the near and far stops, or even program the movement using a microprocessor controlled motorized rig that is operated remotely. The off-camera focus pull also helps to mechanically isolate and damp the focus pulling from the lens itself. Nobody is actually grabbing the lens, which would otherwise cause undue vibrations.</p>

<p>The Samyang still camera DSLR lenses for Nikon are all chipped and are automatically recognised by the camera for focal length, and they also allow camera body aperture control. I assume (dangerous!) that Samyang's cine range lenses are likewise chipped - but you'd need to check this for sure before purchase. The pictures on Samyang's various websites don't show the relevant bit of the mount - very useful!</p>

<p>IME the Samyang 24mm f/1.4 (T 1.5) can be variable in quality. I had to return my first sample, but it was exchanged without question. On my exchanged sample the IQ is very good at maximum aperture for a lens in this class and price bracket. There's noticeable focus shift on stopping down, however, and the bokeh in front of the focus plane can be a lot less than smooth.</p>

<p>Luke, <a href="http://www.ukdigital.co.uk/samyang-24mm-t15-ed-as-if-umc-lens-nikon-vdslr-cine.html">Samyang's cine lenses</a> are all fitted with toothed gear-rings to allow automatic follow-focus and aperture control.</p>