wigwam jones

Apparently, there are some minor but interesting differences between the Pentax

K10D and the Samsung GX-10. This article highlights those differences very

neatly, for those who might be interested. I also find it interesting that at

the present time, the Pentax K10D is cheaper than the Samsung; you'd think it

would be the other way around.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/samsung/gx10-review/index.shtml

NOTE: I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum yesterday, but the mod was

unable to move it here, so I'm reposting after it was deleted there. Sorry.

He notes the price difference is that the K10D was first to market, so it's already stabilizing and seeing deals.

One thing he noted, that I also noted in use, was that DNG's are faster to transfer, ironically, the thread above list DNG vs. PEF. I'll have to post this fact as well.

I've seen some reports that the GX-10 has better algorithms for mapping dead pixels and odd noise. I don't know if this is true, but it's something to consider.

"He notes the price difference is that the K10D was first to market, so it's already stabilizing and seeing deals."

But my own experience with the Pentax *ist models is that they were always cheaper than the equivalent Samsung models, and the Samsungs never got cheaper than the Pentax - not even close. I sure wanted it to happen, I was kind of hoping to pick up a backup body for my *ist DS (well, the Samsung would have been an *ist DS2, but the Pentax version of that was cheaper as well) and it never happened. Now that the leftover *ist bodies (and some K110D bodies) are going for next to nothing, I no longer want one, since I'm saving for the K10D. But again, the Samsung version costs more. If that changes, I'll be most happy, since the nametag doesn't mean that much to me.

The Samsung GX-1S is dropping off the retail scene. Its no longer listed at B&H. I like my wife's Samsung GX-1S so much that I just ordered up one for me. 11 months ago I got her's for $799.95 which was issue price and an hour ago I ordered a second one for $429.95. Not a bad price drop for Samsung's "Pentax DS2" reincarnation.

Wigwam, you might consider $429 versus $950ish for K10D body and lens. I agree its odd the Samsung GX-10 is lauching at last years K10D retail.

Lindy