sample albums/portfolios for consultations?

katydid

I just started my wedding business this year and have had quite a few

consultations at my home. As I have worked previously with another photographer

and have only done a few weddings on my own I don't have a huge portfolio to

present.

My question is what do you use for sample albums and for portfolio albums. I

know that I would like to show each album that I offer in my packages but I also

want to have more portfolio style albums to show with 8x10 or 5x7 pictures in

them. I want something that won't cost a lot like my actual wedding albums and

yet are professional looking. My idea was to have 4-5 portfolio albums with each

containing a wedding with about 30 large pictures in them(8x10 or 5x7). I want

something that I could easily update with a new wedding when I feel I have a

better one to show. I will also have a wedding presented the album that I offer

in my package.

So what do you use? How do you keep updated professional albums around for

consultations? Do you use something flexible or do you create entire albums from

the albums that are in your packages? When I sit down with a client I want to

present the best that I have. How can I do that with out breaking the bank?

If you do not have much to show, then show very little. I would suggest only showing an album from your best wedding. Instead of showing a bunch of so-so work, spend your time asking a lot of questions and generally bonding with the couple. Be attentive to what they are saying to you. If they like you and want to do business with you, it will only take a little bit of samples to get the job. Bond first, show samples last. I usually meet with my potential clients for an hour and don't even get out the sample book for at least the first 30-40 minutes. And, I have plenty of beautiful samples. 18 years and 700 weddings later, you would think so!

Mike

Brides like to see an entire wedding, so that's what I show. Have you put together any albums for the weddings you've done? If so, order a duplicate to show potential clients. If you use the mat style albums, you can update them easily. I also have a couple of smaller 4x6 albums for an engagement and a bridal session. There's always my website if they want to see more. But the albums show them the actual quality I provide.

You must start somewhere, we all did. Take note of what has been stated.

IMO Mr Barrett makes an excellent point: do not be in an hurry to show your work, bond with your client first, listen to their needs, take written notes. Show your work later, and if necessary, explain how you can modify the examples to what they specifically want.

I think we all were (too) eager to show our work to the Bride and Groom when we first started: because of ego and because we are proud of our work, but this is a sales meeting and the most important issue for the customer, especially (usually) the Bride is to confirm she can trust you, and believe you can do what she wants, which incidentally, she may have trouble articulating.

In a nutshell:

1. Show only your own work. (not always done)

2. Show only your finished work: ie what the customer will buy from you.

3. Quality before Quantity.

Regards

WW