Sailing round the world - which camera?!

kate_addison

<p>Hi<br>

I work aboard a sail training ship, and am due to join the ship in Fiji to spend a year sailing half way round the world. Last time I went (to sail the first half) I took my Canon PowerShot D20 because it's waterproof, dust-proof and shock resistant - it happily survived a year onboard and I had a lot of fun with it. </p>

<p>But now I want something with better sensors so I can get away with higher ISOs to make up for my world constantly moving!</p>

<p>The shots I take onboard are mainly of the crew working, the ship's cat and bits of rigging, but with a lot of wide angle sunsets too. Then, ashore I want to be able to capture landscapes as well as close-up shots of flowers and markets and people.</p>

<p>So I'm thinking either an entry level DSLR or a CSC...are any brands more robust than others and thus more likely to survive a year at sea? Any advice on whether waterproof cases are worth the money? Also how many/which lenses would be a good minimum to start off with?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Kate </p>

You didn't mention your budget. A friend of mine swears by his Pentax K-50 dslr. He basically lives outdoors 12 months a

year: wilderness ski ing, wilderness camping, river and lake boating. The K-50 is not waterproof but is weatherproof. If it

goes overboard, it's toast. However, it is sealed against. Dust, sand, extreme cold, rain and humidity. A kit with two zoom

lenses (18-55, 50-200) retails for $700.

Here's a detailed review:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/pentax_k50_review/

<p>Thanks for the response. <br>

My budget is around £500 (~$800) with lenses, so the K-50 certainly looks like a good option - I like the look of the shake reduction mechanism and weatherproofing and it seems like quite a lot of camera for the money.</p>

<p>Hoping it doesn't go overboard - I figure decent insurance would be the only thing to help if it did! But weatherproofing should help with the humidity and salt...<br>

Cheers, Kate</p>