Sailboat or motorboat

In my view Leica versus digital has some analogy with sailboat versus

motorboat.

Wind and silent slowness in a trip for its own sake, versus...

There is no opposition between both ways of navigation . Each one has

their amateurs and justifications.

If they are different things the feeling of using such a beautiful

thing like untemporary m or screwmount leica bodies with their

beautiful and performing lenses has nothing to do with the feeling

using digitals and their infinite variety of everchanging models.

Shooting is a mainly a matter of feeling. And the incarnated soul

needs some kind of eternity when capturing moments and images.

Good analogy Jorge. Having learned to sail at school before I even picked up a camera maybe that's why I later gravitated towards Leica M's! My sailing teacher (whom I shall ever be grateful to) without any 'zen' nonsense, made it an important point that you can't sail a boat without becoming 'one' with it. Sailing by the seat of your pants was banned. You had to use your hands, eyes, legs, ears, arms, brain, pain, and every other part and sense in your body as well! Become part of the machine! Maybe thats why the Leica becoming an extension to your arm/eye/brain works for me.

<<In my view Leica versus digital has some analogy with sailboat versus motorboat>>

Another flawed analogy--didn't any of you people take Logic in college? Sailboats will be useful for as long as there is a breeze blowing across the face of the earth, which is pretty much always there and a sailboat can be equipped easily with a motor for use when there happens to be no wind. You don't need to give up the boat you love. And so far they haven't figured a way to charge for using the wind.

OTOH film cameras are only useful as long as you can buy film and have it processed. And the demand does not need to drop to zero before that will cease due to lack of profitability. And so far most film cameras can not be converted to digital use.

Jay, why would I take Logic in college? I work for the Government.

Before there was film and processing available, people coated their own glass plates and paper and processed the images themselves. Prior to this, they painted pictures. Prior to that they scratched images on cave walls. There's always been wind and there's always been a way to create images.

Another flawed analogy Jay. Film cameras are the sailboats, it being possible for them to be independant of electricty. Digital on the other hand will be pretty useless come the nuclear winter. Why, with film you can make your own camera and emulsion, but I'm not sure a home technician could make a digital sensor.

"And so far they haven't figured a way to charge for using the wind"

James 1st did (James VI of Scotland as was). He proposed a "Sail Tax" - the more sail you had, the more you paid. The theory was this would get the 'furraners' who were supposed to put on more sail than English sailors. Then someone realised that to compete with the foreign sailors, the English would have to put on more sail too. The idea was quietly shelved...

<<Jay, why would I take Logic in college? I work for the Government.

Before there was film and processing available, people coated their own glass plates and paper and processed the images themselves. Prior to this, they painted pictures. Prior to that they scratched images on cave walls. There's always been wind and there's always been a way to create images.>>

Sounds like you don't just work for the government, sounds like you *are* the government. A veteran policitican couldn't have written a more intelligent-sounding but totally nonsensical passage ;>)

<<Digital on the other hand will be pretty useless come the nuclear winter. Why, with film you can make your own camera and emulsion, but I'm not sure a home technician could make a digital sensor.>>

Isn't it time for last call at the pub yet?