Safari in BOTSWANA

neil_lupin

I'm going to Botswana in July for 2.5 weeks. We want to go on safari -

probably Chobe or Okavanga. I know that safari can be very expensive

but that you get what you pay for too.

I'm looking for people's experiences of locations and particular

operators to try and book something direct with a local operator

before we go find all those photo opportunities.

Any other thoughts on particularly photogenic locations in Botswana

too would be great - anyone been to the Kalahari Desert?

(BTW, we've decided 100% on Botswana, so please, no suggestions about

which other countries to chose instead!!!)

Thanks

Neil

I have been to both and I found the O Delta VERY disappointing from a wildlife standpoint. Did an overnight there with two LONG days being poled about on the local dugouts through the marsh. We saw some domestic horses and a couple zebra.

Chobe was much better for wildlife, including hippos, lots of birds and four legged creatures (little brown jumping things or LBJ's I call them since unless you are an expert they all start to look alike!)

That being said, you NEVER know what you will get on safari and sometimes you see the BIG FIVE in ten minutes, sometimes not in ten days (I exaggerate). I saw some film from the flight over the delta my partner took - very cool, but from the ground disappointing.

That's for the animals, there are some marginally interesting landscape shots in both. Did not get to the Kalahari, hope this helps.

Michael

Hi Neil,

You might be able to do both! We went there a few years ago (with a rented jeep) and it took us 2 days from Chobe to Moremi. Both are great! We saw a lion kill in Chobe and almost got eaten by lions in Moremi... Both are spectacular, Moremi more if you are interested in birds. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

The delta is not about the animals but the experience in total, it is a wonder of the world.

Animals... go to Mala mala for the most predators in one day a bit canned, but good

Real African wildlife only place left with natural migration routes and that is Kenya / Tanzania

Various national parks make it holistically interesting and there are loads of private paradise sanctuaries where you will be the only clients on over 20,000 hectares.

Its a bit more expensive. but it is just real