S9700 file size

chris_letts

<p>JPEG file sizes differ depending on the image content Chris. Image sizes for a 16 megapixel camera are going to be in the range of 7 to 10 megabytes each at minimum JPEG compression. But I'd buy cards on the best size-to-price ratio you can find rather than having a fixed number of pictures in mind. Large capacity cards come at a premium price, while tiny capacity cards aren't too practical and don't offer good value. I'd say anything in the 8 to 32GB range will give you a good performance-to-cost ratio at the moment, as well as having ample image capacity.</p>

<p>The manual for the camera is downloadable from here: http://crossgate.nikonimglib.com/dsd_redirect/redirect.do?P=fZkhE53&R=L0mU995&L=RXbrO00&O=osGCm00<br /> and shows that the S9700 can take SDXC cards of 64GB or more. That's probably overkill for a little snapshot camera, and in any case using large cards tends to make you lazy about transferring images to your computer for backup. Smaller cards actually make you backup your precious pictures more frequently, which can't be a bad thing. So IMHO it's better to carry a few modest capacity cards than one big one.</p>

<p>In these days, even 32G SD cards are very affordable, e.g. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1077090-REG/sandisk_sdsdun_032g_g46_ultra_sd_32gd_card.html<br>

Make sure that it is at least class 10 (10 with a circle around it) so that it can capture video just fine.</p>

<p>I would get at least 32G precisely because you won't be forced to upload your images all the time. If you are concerned about your images, do have a disciplined workflow and upload at the end of the day whenever you have captured images. However, you are much safer to have an extra copy of the images, on the card and inside your camera. If you use very small-capacity cards, you will be juggling several cards and since SD are physically small, your risk of losing some cards is much higher. In 12 years using digital cameras, I have never lost any CF cards but have lost several SD in merely 4 years. They are easy to misplace.</p>

<p>If you have concerns about the rare card failure, get two SD cards so that you have at least one second spare.</p>