S5 Pro ISO 3200/1600 Night Shots

mjt

This might sound strange, I've looked at many magazines and all of them say that the actual resolution difference between D200 and S5 is very marginal. Fuji resolves more than typical 6mp camera but slightly less, than D200. When printing the picture really there is no real difference between D200 and S5.

hi Ken ... it's a bandwidth issue.

if you're selecting to view or download an image at full size, we're talking about 5+ MB for each photo.

also, an average of 200+ users/hour are accessing the server.

sorry.

Speaking of Phil Askey, Thom Hogan has some comments on the S5 vs. D2X on Askey's DPReview site:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1020&message=22478837

Essentially, if you use the S5, you trade off resolution for extra dynamic range. Effectively, the S3 and S5 are just doing HDR but in hardware, and the process to "combine the images" shot with the two sets of photosites slows down the camera.

"Effectively, the S3 and S5 are just doing HDR but in hardware".

This is a fair bit of an oversimplification as you well know, even as the rest of your point

about the tradeoffs is not. Try asking your portrait sitter to stay in _exactly_ the same

position while you set up the second shot.

"HDR in hardware" is something all digital SLRs could do. The S5 records with a wider

dynamic range. There is no 'effectively' about it.

Addresssing the wider point, the jump from six to ten megapixels is a reasonably

significant upgrade, but it's not going to make a huge difference except at quite large

print sizes. You can add into this mix the interpolation of the sensor data from the S5

(which is _not_ equivalent to upscaling in photoshop, as it clearly provides at least some

extra information).

Having shot with an S2 for some time I feel comfortable in saying that the 12 megapixel

'interpolated' result does convey more information than the six megapixel output of, say, a

D70. How much more information exists in practice is harder to say, but the difference is

there, both theoretically and in practice. This I think contributes to the impression that

the S5 is closer to the D200's results than might otherwise be expected.

Personally, I am finally heading into the market for a replacement for my S2, and I've not

yet made my mind up between the two. I'm also interested to see what dpreview makes of

it, but I'm far from likely to decide based solely on that.