RZ67 revolving back orientation question

r_w18

<p>I just received a Mamiya RZ67 and have spent awhile reading the manual to learn the basics of the camera. While reading about the revolving back I noticed that the manual points out that if you have the back set to shoot vertically, the viewfinder will change to reflect that, and furthermore, a rectangle indicating the orientation will be displayed on top. I noticed that when my back is set to shoot vertically (so, the vertical rectangle aligned with the orange line), the framing appears horizontally, and when the back is set to shoot horizontally, the framing is cropped to appear vertical. After rereading the guide/looking at the photos I noticed the indicator rectangles on the back have no text in them in the manual while on my back the vertical rectangle has a "V" and the horizontal one an "H" which made me realize my RZ67 has an RZ67 II back attached to it. I've read that this combination still works but I haven't been able to find anyone who is experiencing a similar problem. I've tried adjusting the ring inside of the camera but no matter what I do, the orientation is always incorrect. If the back is set to vertical but the viewfinder displays the picture in a horizontal format does that mean, regardless of what the back is telling me, when I take a photo it will still come out horizontally? Sorry if the answer to this is really obvious, I just wouldn't want to start shooting and have the pictures come out cropped incorrectly or maybe not at all.<br>

Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Ah okay, do you have any suggestions on how to fix it so that the back and the frame match up? The vertical crop is distracting and obviously obscures parts of the image. Does it have anything to do with the roll film holder and the orange dot that needs aligning?</p>

<p>My only reference: http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/assets/files/documentation/RZ67PROII_Instr.pdf<br>

I would remove the back, operate the revolving ring until the alignment marks are correct and the frame mask is correct then reattach the back. </p>

<p>If the alignment marks are correct, the frame mask incorrect, and cannot be made to match then possibly it has been taken apart and reassembled incorrectly.</p>

• 4 years later...
And so have I with an RZ proIID which I just bought...it looks very clean in all respects so I hope it is an easy fix under someone's instructive advice rather than a trip to a workshop...the blinds just come in H for V and vice versa...I am beginning to think it is as thirteen thumbs suggested...wrong reassembly. Any definitive answers would be appreciated.

Good news for me and the issue as it applies to me...I posed the question on the getdpi medium format forum and received the reply that for the 645 back and digital back adaptors it is supposed to act in this manner. I don't know how it applies to those above with issues but here is the link to the thread:

Mamiya RZ pro IID framing masks in wrong orientation

Cheers,

Martin

<p>I just received a Mamiya RZ67 and have spent awhile reading the manual to learn the basics of the camera. While reading about the revolving back I noticed that the manual points out that if you have the back set to shoot vertically, the viewfinder will change to reflect that, and furthermore, a rectangle indicating the orientation will be displayed on top. I noticed that when my back is set to shoot vertically (so, the vertical rectangle aligned with the orange line), the framing appears horizontally, and when the back is set to shoot horizontally, the framing is cropped to appear vertical. After rereading the guide/looking at the photos I noticed the indicator rectangles on the back have no text in them in the manual while on my back the vertical rectangle has a "V" and the horizontal one an "H" which made me realize my RZ67 has an RZ67 II back attached to it. I've read that this combination still works but I haven't been able to find anyone who is experiencing a similar problem. I've tried adjusting the ring inside of the camera but no matter what I do, the orientation is always incorrect. If the back is set to vertical but the viewfinder displays the picture in a horizontal format does that mean, regardless of what the back is telling me, when I take a photo it will still come out horizontally? Sorry if the answer to this is really obvious, I just wouldn't want to start shooting and have the pictures come out cropped incorrectly or maybe not at all.<br>

Thanks in advance.</p>

Just wondering in light of info I received if the back you tried is a 6x7 back? That would be helpful to know on this thread as it would indicate a malfunction if on a 67 back.