found a few comments but nothing specific. I would like to know if

there is anything anyone doesn't like about this lens. I will travel

to Japan next week to pick up some RZ equipment and am not sure if I

will get both the 180 and 250 or just the 210. I can get the 210 for

approx. 1400 USD and I really think it will take care of my needs

(and save me a buck or two) but I just can't seem to get too much

info on it specifically. By needs I'm referring to portraiture

(indoors and outdoors)including tight head shots etc. Thanks in

advance for any info you can pass along.

I haven't heard anything negative about this lens, except the price- $3,030 at B&H. This compares to $1,800 for the 250mm. The only other thing is that the lens is heavier, as it utilizes a significant amount of LD glass to make it apochromatic.

For what its worth, I have the 150mm which has beautiful color rendition, sharpness and contrast. For portraits, I usually have to cut the sharpness of with a Zeiss Softar I or II filter.

I just don't know how the 210mm APO could be all that much sharper or better color-corrected than the 150mm or the 180mm. I think maybe making a lens of less than 300mm an APO is a bit of overkill.

However, for $1,400 U.S., it would be hard to go wrong. Also, given the weight of an RZ kit, I like your idea of splitting the difference between the 180mm and the 250mm and just getting one lens, the 210mm.

Get the 210; it is far superior to the 250, and will give better images than the 180, realizing the 210 is a " headshot" lens. This is

" theee " headshot lens for the RZ. Do not buy the 250, it is a " dog ", absolutely. Get the 180 if you do not choose the 210. My lenses are 65, 110, 140, 210.

I did a search in usenet for you and came across this message posed by dannyg1 on the 25th July 1996 viz.

"Don,

I've owned this lens for a while now. Though it's extremely sharp, it flares more than the 180 4.5w (haven't tried the w-n). I like the lens alot, but I find the 180 to be a better lens and a far better buy.

Danny"

Take it for what it is worth.

Do not buy the 210mm just because it says 'APO'. In the view of Mamiya optical engineers, lenses below 200mm focal length do not require apochromatic correction.

Compare the 180mm WN with the 210mm APO. The APO comes at quite a hefty premium even at these Tokyo prices.

If the 210mm focal length works for you, that's fine. But give the 180mm another thought to see if it might fulfill your requirements at a lower price and weight.

Erik, that does look like what I read before. I hope to hear further comments on it. I can't say I'm attracted to 'APO' so much as sorting out what I really need/want. This trip or down the road I'll go as long as the 350/5.6 and I think the 180 and 250 don't really accomplish a whole lot more than I can do by moving a little. I have thought it through and wanted to get other opinions on the 210 as it would be my first choice.

Phillip, you asked before I could. I had been referring to (but didn't mention) the 250 APO myself and was curious if Bill was talking about the other 250. I will assume he was as I've heard and read many good things about the 250 APO. It can be bought for around 1550 USD in Japan right now.

If anyone's curious, I buy most of my equipment from Kitamura Camera in Fukuoka, Japan. I looked at other stores in Japan, (other Kitamura branches as well) and they've all been higher. I deal with the store manager and they give me 70% of the list price in the Mamiya brochures. He says he'll mail to me but I haven't had the need yet. He says a body price would be about 100 USD to ship but considering the prices I'd say it's worth it. Besides, I take most of my time off in Thailand and it's not too expensive to fly there from here.

Thanks for the comments, I'll keep looking for more.

Mark

Mark, any chance of your posting Kitamura's address and contact information such as fax number and salesperson's email in this thread? I am thinking about sussing out Fuji 680 III prices myself and would like to ask the Kitamura Camera shop a few questions.

I guess it was kind of inconsiderate of me to give only half the info. The fax number of the shop is (Japan Country Code)(92)733-4264. I would recommend serious inquiries only as they aren't a mail order shop in any way although they are a quite large chain. I would suggest including your e-mail address on the fax for them to contact you as I doubt they're going to be interested in faxing back too much. As for an address, his card has a lot of Japanese writing and some numbers where I believe the address should be but that's not going to help you. For anyone physically looking for the place, it's right in the city center near one of the Tenjin metro station exits. I priced gear from Nikon and a few others without much in the way of huge price differences from the states. Nikon was in fact higher on many things. However, Contax equipment was inexpensive similarly to the price disparity of the Mamiya gear, at least as far as the G2 equipment goes which I picked up there. If I could recall what a Softar costs there you'd swear it was fake!

Don't start on Softars, you're hurting me. Last year, I paid $213 apiece for a I and II in 77mm- and that was at dealer employee net from the U.S. Heliopan distributor.

You're right, the prices on Mamiya RZ stuff are amazingly low in that part of the world. There was an American living in Hong Kong who posted last summer agonizing between paying $450 U.S. for the 50mm or the 65mm- arghhhhhhhh!

I bought all my Mamiya gear while working in Hong Kong, it was between 55 and 60% less than the US price. Quite a difference, I guess someone has to pay for the Mamiya America reps hot tubs, might as well be the US consumer.

Thanks for the info on the 250 APO, had me worried there. I have found it to be a pretty nice lens, I am sure all of the APO lenses are just great.

While we are on the topic of lenses, does anyone have experience with with 180 soft focus lens for the RZ? Is it close to an Imagon in quality. I notice it is a different construction having the diaphram plate between the lenses, where with the Imagon the diaphram is on the outside of the lens. Just wondering if it gives that nice halo effect or if it is just a pure soft focus effect all over the image.

Phil

I was turned off by the 180mm soft focus lens: 1. It costs more than the regular 180mm; 2. Mamiya admits that the SF lens isn't as sharp as the regular 180mm for non-SF images; 3. Normal images have to be taken at f/8.0 or smaller apertures; 4. Soft-focus images are taken only at apertures wider than f/8.0 (which may be fine for shooting in a studio, but how do you shoot in sunlight at f/5.6 with a camera that only goes down to 1/400th- ND filters?); and 5. Degrees of soft focus are acheived by slipping various discs into the lens that have to be used at specified apertures.

To me, this was all a big pain in the ass and I bought Softar I and II 77mm filters and a 150mm lens instead. I can use the filters individually or stacked and I can shoot with or without soft focus at any aperture I want. Also, I can use the Softar filters on other RZ lenses and with any of my Nikon lenses.

Don't get me wrong, when used properly, the 180mm SF produces beautiful results, but the lens is limiting for both SF and non-SF images. And, I don't think the results are better than using Softars.

Well, just to muddy the water a bit...

I will start with a disclaimer: I have handled, but never shot any film with the 210 APO.

The reason? The 180 I use to shoot headshots of famous faces about 3 times a week is SO good I can't see any reason to pay more for the APO. Color and contrast from the 180 are beautiful, and I sure don't need anything sharper. I don't want an excuse to buy another lens, but I would in a minute if I saw the need for it.

You should try them both (if that's possible)and see if the difference in price and weight really makes sense for you. The 210 APO would have to be mind-bendingly impressive for me to go that way.

Amd maybe it is...but the 180 just excels in every way.

AND, let me say that I also own a 250 (not the APO version) and my eyes can see no real difference between it and the 180 I just heaped so much praise on.

If it's a dog, it's a damn fine one!

MOSES SPARKS

STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER - UNIVERSAL STUDIOS, LOS ANGELES

• 5 weeks later...