Ruberg & Renner cameras: Anyone have information?

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by l._david_tomei|1, Jun 5, 2007.

1. I bought a Ruberg & Renner Dixi practically in mint condition and in its original box. However, there doesn't seem to be much information about this company prior to their becoming a munitions factory in the 1930's. Does anyone have any information on these simple cameras and the company? I have attached a couple images of it. Thanks. David
    00LQHX-36873484.jpg

2. ...and the back. Sorry if the image quality isn't great. Shot these with an ancient Toshiba digital.
    00LQHf-36873684.jpg

3. They made motorcycle and bicycle drive chains in Hagen Germany. Your Dixi is an unusual camera from 1932. It's worth around $120. Nice camera, you should use it !

4. I dig the crackled paint.

5. Doesn't look like the viewfinder will be very accurate.

6. I should use it at least once I suppose but it is very basic (i.e. crude) and the viewfinder is, well, basic as you say, David. However, the crackle finish is nearly perfect and I was curious why they are of value. I thought I was missing something about their history. I see others for sale that are rather badly corroded yet still have collectors' interest.

Thanks, Gene. I know that they eventually made ammunition casings that look strangely like the camera. Perhaps the tooling already in place fit the size needed for bullets? Curious.

David