RSS feeds on photo.net

bart

<p>Hi There,<br>

Maybe it's just me, and if it is I apologize in advance , but I cannot find the rss feeds on this site. I would love to have a feed of the top-rated pics, but does pn offer this at all?</p>

<p>Kind regards</p>

<p>Bart</p>

<p>Never actually thought about that! I was thinking about using it in my rss reader like I do with Flickr Explore. I see something interesting, I click and check out the photographer's portfolio. Clicking a photo would always direct you to the photographers PN pages, so in the end it would benefit the photographer. And he/she already chooses to publish his or her photos on the internet anyway. But don't get me wrong, I do understand your point of view, and ultimately it is the choice of the photographer. So I guess you would have to give permission (wonder how they deal with this on flickr)</p>

Charles and Derek, I think you are misunderstanding what an RSS feed is. If photo.net offered an RSS feed of image

galleries or top rated-images it would simply be a different (and for some, more convenient) way to view the images on

photo.net. It has an advantage for information sources that change frequently like news, blogs, or top-rated images in that

an RSS reader will do the work of checking for new content without the user needing to check the website all the time.

(This can be a disadvantage for sites that depend on that traffic though). It has nothing to do with linking or republishing

images—they would still just be in your photo.net gallery like they are now.

<p>As Mark correctly states, there is a large difference between hotlinking or reposting someone's image and using an RSS reader to keep updated with new content on a website like PN. They are not even close to being the same thing. So there is no reason to worry.</p>

<p>As for Bart's question, we are working on it. As of now, there are only RSS feeds for the forums.</p>

Using something like Yahoo's Media RSS might be a really handy thing if you are working on this. It's something of a two-

edged sword though because it would make it easier to scrape images from photo.net, but it's probably already fairly easy

to do that.

On the other hand, it makes it really easy to integrate your photo.net portfolio into other services, something that is

becoming expected on social networking sites. Google profiles, for instance, will allow you to display thumbnails of your photos

from flickr with links leading back to the flickr album. This is done simply by giving Google the feed address to your images. I don't really use flickr, but was able to

create a Media RSS feed of a gallery on my website—Google doesn't care where the feed comes from. It results in images at the top of this page:

http://www.google.com/profiles/markmeyerphotography It would be cool if we could integrate our photo.net images into a

google profile or similar service, making one's photo.net gallery into something of a social hub for images. I think there will be a lot more of this kind of integration in the future.

<p>I should also state that most of the time we give users the option to turn off things if at all possible. I see no reason why someone wouldn't want to have an RSS feed of their images. But I also see no reason why we wouldn't be able to offer a "RSS yes-no" choice to the users.</p>