RRS L-plate for D300

acbeddoe

Charles, your impression is actually correct: they are indeed *nearly* the same, but those plates have a custom fit so that as long as they are not exactly the same to a high precision, it is not going to fit.

If you measure the distance from the tripod socket to the front of the camera, the D300 is about 3mm wider.

Perhaps I do have some good news for you, though. It looks like Nikon will continue to use the MB-D10 battery pack and vertical grip for its future prosumer DSLRs. If that is indeed the case, the plates for the D300 may be used on those DSLRs as well.

The L-bracket contours right around the body and has openings for the specific buttons/ports. Additionally the tripod port is slightly different on the D200 vs. D300. When I got my D300 that was the first thing I tried (moving the L-bracket over). Not even close. Things just don't line up, and you can't muscle it into position even by force.

Why does Nikon keep changing the ergonomics? I don't know, but I'm not complaining. Each iteration is better. Compare the D200 grip to the D300 grip. Big improvement.

I wonder how you can fit an L plate for the D200 onto the D300. Since I only have the non-L type plates, I would assume that the L plates are also curved to fit the bottom coutour of the two bodies.

Since the tripod socket for the D300 is off by about 3mm, a D200 plate cannot sit flat on the bottom of the D300 as the curved part gets in the way. At best, the D200 L plate will "fit" tilted at an angle and can easily twist. At least to me, that seems to be quite insecure.

But it is just true Juanjo. Sorry if you don't like facts.Do you really think there is a conspiracy between RRS, and Kirk and all of the camera manufacturers? I mean it would be great if the RRS L-plate for a Canon EOS 1Ds Mark 2 fit a 1Ds Mark 3.

But there is an alternative: Get a non dedicated L plate! Which is what I use on my D3 and 1D Mark 3 : A Novoflex QPL-vertikal:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/269769-REG/Novoflex_QPL_VERTIKAL_L_Shaped_Quick_Release.html

Works great and is 1/3rd less than the dedicated plates for those bodies . The only drawback is that I have to loosen the plate to change or charge the battery