rolliecord? what lenses are ok? i found a schnieder planar at a

camera shop but its over 200 dollars.. (239) its gaurenteed, so so

condition.. shutter is in good condition and has timing paper. its

not sticky and is on time within factory limits. i see lots of other

lenses on this camera on ebay, would a xenar be a step down?.. what

camera in the weight class of the rolliecord would you suggest, for

me not dropping a bundle for the few shots that i have left in my

life. thanks dave..

I used to own a Minolta Autocord - it's a fantastic camera. The lens is excellent and the focusing lever is very easy to use. But look for one with a Citizen shutter as they are easier to service. You should be able to find one for $100 - $200. But budget an additional $125 - $150 for a CLA (Paul Ebel has a good reputation for servicing autocords).

Dave... a Rolleicord with a Planar... are you sure? I thought Planar was only available on the RolleiFLEX. I've used a Rolleicord Vb for many years. It is extremely lightwight and the f/3.5 Xenar is quite a sharp lens. It is Tessar-type design and is best when stopped down. But I haven't been terribly disappointed when using a wide open aperture. The Vb is the last of the R'cord models and are fairly easily found in good shape for about $150. The prior model, Va, even a bit more inexpensive. Another $125 - 150 might be needed for an overhaul. I have no idea how much longer you plan on photographing, but my Vb is still running fine almost 20 years after it's last overhaul. It's a great option if you want decent camera/optics and light weight. The quality and ease of use is further improved if combined with a monopod!

There are Rolleicords (with Xenars) and Rolleiflexes (with either Carl Zeiss Planars or

Schneider Xenotars). The Xenar is a 4 element Tessar-type lens. The Planar and the Xenotar

are more expensive 5 or 6 element lenses. Take a good look at the camera you are interested

in. A cheaper Rolleicord with a Xenar lens will be a good camera for little money. A Rolleiflex

with a Planar or Xenotar will be (a lot) more expensive.

Dave, the deal sounds about right. I don't know about the Planar lens though as I thought that 'cords only used the Xenar or the earlier 3-element Triotar. Anyway, check it over once more carefully and if it feels right to you... then buy it. A good TLR is a beautiful thing.

If the Rollei brand as a status symbol does not mean a thing to you, might I suggest something that I think is quite the equal to the Rolleicord? In the mid to late 1950s Ricoh made the finest camera they ever built, the G and L series TLR Diacords. Excellent Tessar(same as Xenar) style lens, similar manual-cock shutter and the same push-and-turn film advance as the Rolleicord. Without the Rollei name snob appeal, the Diacord sold for half to one-third the price. Current prices on U-Buy still reflect this. Don't get me wrong; the Rolleicord is a first class TLR. But the Dia is just as good and you can buy another twenty rolls of film with the money you will same. (I saved my 2-cents and just gave it to you.)

I have owned rolleicords in the tessar and xenar variety and find them quite comparable.I have retained a rolliecord V with Xenar lens as a lightweight no frills camera to accompany me on trips that require a lightweight camera capable of good images that I can afford to damage on a fishing/dive trip or kayak adventure.

Stopped down to an f11 its pretty good but is really sensitive to lens flare. Care has to be taken. I have owned a xenotar 3.5 and two Zeiss planar 3.5f(6 element) the Xenar/Xenotars are Schneider lenses and are very good However I did find a difference in image quaility, the ladder

Xenotar 3.5f more capable of greater reolution especially if opened up. If you are looking to enlarge greater than 11x11 consider the Xenotar or the Planar, the later model planars 3.5 have even more coatings and do a tad bit better at resisiting lens flare and have better color fidelity.

If you do a key word search under "medium format lens testing"(PEREZ) you may find some interesting data on lines of resolution/mm. this may help you with you decision.

The rolleicord V with the Xenar will stay in my collection, however the rolleiflexes did not.They were as sharp as my Hasselblad but limited in scope. They are also getting a bit long in the tooth and I knocked a couple of them out of culmination(alignment between the two lenses) they are elegant but a bit fragile for my tastes.

Your mamiya is a very good system. You may opt for one of the rollei's and retain your system for those shots that don't require humping your gear across country.

My two cents

Dave, I too have a C330 Mamiya system which I find heavy at times. In 2005 I lugged the camera and 55, 80 and 180 mm lenses around Europe for two weeks. When processing the film, I realized that 95% of the pictures were taken with the 80mm lens, not one with the 180mm. (Europe 2005 folder in my portfolio)

That's when I decided to start using the Rolleicord IV that I purchased 15 years ago in an antique shop. (Beautiful underutilized camera for $15.00). For me it can be a good knockaround around medium format camera without some of the fuss and weight of the Mamiya.

The Rolleicord is feather light and much smaller than the Mamiya. So far the lens is producing superb sharpness and contrast on b&w neagatives. However, I miss not having the eye level finder with meter (CDS Porrofinder) that I have gotten so used to using on the Mamiya. The biggest issue so far with the Rolleicord is the dark viewfinder. It is impossible to focus in dim light, and only works well in bright sunshine. I have cleaned the screen and checked the mirror. All is well there.

After reading posts here, I am in the market for a bright screen. Before popping $150. for a Maxwell or Beattie after-market bright screen, I am planning to find a standard RB67 screen and modify it to fit in the Rolleicord. These are $10-30. on ebay.

IMHO, you should be able to find an older Rolleicord in good condition for $100. You can always resell if it doesn't meet your needs. Good Luck.