Roller Derby - using TWO speedlights??

rod_melotte

Rod, don't support the remote flash on a stand. Hang it from the ceiling. Aim it down at the track... probably above and slightly before the Line of Death... um... the scoring position on the track.

You probably do not want to have direct flash aimed into the eyes of Muffy (the one with the big biceps and spiked glovelets) when she is trying to concentrate on elbowing Princess (the one with the Moto Guzzi tattoo) in the throat.

Of course, Roller Derby may have changed since I was a lad. Maybe they're all perfect ladies now and wouldn't dream of making a photographer eat his camera.

Be well, have fun.

(Yes, I'm being more than a wee bit farcical. Roller Derby is good theater, right up there with professional wrestling, and if there are plenty of mouth-breathers who believe it's all REAL, so much the better.)

It's a local event and it's real all right - I've seen the bruises - they are not pro's just woman with tattoes and angst!<p> Hanging is a good idea.<p> They have had 2 people come in with no luck on photos so far so I'm at bat now! <p> I have a practice session so I'm sure I'll hear what they like and don't like - CrackerJack and Preditor seem like nice ladies! I'm not sure about Blood though! :-)

I understand the bruises are real -- it's definitely a contact "sport." The enmity between teams and players, and the bitterness of rivalries (from the old Rollder Derby on television) were more hype than heat.

Good old fashioned family fun, plus blood! Who could ask for more?

Be well,

try using zip ties to hang your flashes from the roof, or rafters, when they are up there you want them to be firing at about half power, (they freeze more) and try to burn the rest of the background through.

you want them on an angle from the subject, and you need the IR to be visiable by the sb800.

the idea is good, jsut work with it, set up take some shots, during practice or somehting and try moving your flash to where you get the best lighting.

hope I helped